XALER method of Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbb97fxdwg

Reaction score
What is the XALER method? I am air hog. I have noted most of the air/consump. info on scuba board most has been helpful. thx

mbb97fxdwg:
What is the XALER method? I am air hog. I have noted most of the air/consump. info on scuba board most has been helpful. thx

I've got the same issue (note the board name), I'll be following this thread as it develops.

mbb97fxdwg:

You have to learn to daer sdrawkcab.

Air Hog, Hoover, Air Sucking Dog,

All of these convey a sense of "inadeqaucy" under the water. Diving has never been a contest to see who can stay down the longest. We should have learned that in high school.

I know of a GREAT diver who now has anxiety attacks while diving. This all occurred because of skip breathing. Skip breathing is a sure fire way to poison yourself. Classic symptoms of carbon dioxide poisoning: shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing, rapid pulse rate, headaches, hearing loss, hyperventilation, sweating, and fatigue.

The only sure fire way to increase your "efficiency" underwater is to do cardiovascular exercises while not diving.

Oh yeah... don't forget to use xaler!

It took a little longer than I thought :D

Basically what the XALER system is a reminder to RELAX a little.

Don’t go into the water so up tight that you think every fish out there is related to Jaws and the 30’ bottom is a bottomless pit. No matter how deep the water is you can always swim just as deep as you want to and the fish look a lot bigger.

RELAX, from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet, relax. We spent roughly the first 9 mounts of our lives in water so knowing that, a few minutes in all that fancy gear is no big deal, RELAX.

Believe it or not, the water is your friend. The only true enemy you have down there is a DIONAMUH. They worry about things they don’t need to and they don’t worry about things they should. So if you can get that DIONAMUH to stay calm the world will be a much safer and better place.

It has already been said but remember diving and air consumption is not a competition. It’s a journey.

Relax, enjoy and have fun.

Gary D.

Every once in a while I find myself forgetting to use the xaler method at major transitions.

It's a good practice to take 10 or 15 seconds to pause, gather your thoughts, and check out your buddy at all the major transitions. On the surface before initial descent; bottom of descent; major directional changes; turnaround point; ascent start, and start of stops are all good places to pause for a moment.

When either I or my buddy have been stressed out, just slowing down for a moment would probably have avoided the problem.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom