Xdeep EX1 XL measurements? Help my big feet find a home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irsubmarine

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wear Scubapro rock boots size XXL. It's a pain in the buttplate to find fitting tech fins with the right buoyancy characteristics and stifness. Basically, I fit an Apeks RK3 size Super. However, that fin is ultra soft in my humble opinion. I'd rather have the stiffness of the Apeks RK3 HD. That said, I have long legs which means heavy fins mess up my trim. The Apeks RK3 is perfect in size and buoyancy characteristics but not in stiffness (I'm picky I know :eyebrow:).

So I've been looking at the Xdeep EX1 XL fins because they come in soft/medium/hard, seem to be made for rock boots and are supposed to be neutrally buoyant. Try to find a pair of these to try on your feet before you buy it... it's impossible and I'm on Gozo, Euro dive heaven supposedly.

Any big footed brethren out there that know the foot pocket size of the Xdeep EX1 XL fin? Or if the XL version fits the same as the Apeks RK3 Super. Really love to get my hands on that info. Disclaimer: I've emailed Xdeep support and they haven't responded.

where are you located?
and can you go to something a bit less bulky than the rock boots? They aren't really necessary unless you're doing some serious offroading to get to the dive sites. A lot of us with big feet have had better luck with converse all stars if you don't have wide feet, or going to neoprene dive booties that go over the drysuit socks

I have euro 46-47 shoe size and have the largest available Santi flexshoes on drysuit. I think my xDeep XL fins fit very well and the foot pocket is comfortable.

where are you located?
and can you go to something a bit less bulky than the rock boots? They aren't really necessary unless you're doing some serious offroading to get to the dive sites. A lot of us with big feet have had better luck with converse all stars if you don't have wide feet, or going to neoprene dive booties that go over the drysuit socks
I'm on Gozo, Malta right now.

My drysuit has neoprene socks. I'm wearing my trusty neoprene booties I normally use for wetsuits. There are 2 issues with them.

They have a nice rugged sole. However, I like the even greater ruggedness of these rockboots. There are quite a lot of rocks and trails we traverse with quite sharp edges so I would prefer the use of the proper rockboots. I love the idea of wearing Converse though, I had not considered that. Although I think the sole of the Converse is not as sturdy as the Scubapro rockboot.

Secondly, my neoprene booties are a tight, really tight fit for my normally comfortable Mares Quattro Plus fins (using a wetsuit). It takes a while to jam my feet out of the foot pocket. If I were to get bigger noeprene boots, I'd have the same sizing issues with fitting fins. So I got the upgrade to a rockboot as they fit nicely.

I have euro 46-47 shoe size and have the largest available Santi flexshoes on drysuit. I think my xDeep XL fins fit very well and the foot pocket is comfortable.
Thanks for that, that really helps. Would you know the width, height and depth of the footpocket opening?

http://www.xdeep.eu/fins-jet-type-specification-ps-123.html

XL size is 0.2 kg /fin negative in water. I would not call that neutral.
I really like my medium Ex1 fins. They are quite comparable to Scubapro Jetfins, although I have not found exact numbers on how negative the Jetfins are. Hard EX1 should be much stiffer than SP Jetfins.
ah snap, I was under the impression a medium would be neutral. So much for wishful thinking... :(

@irsubmarine the converse aren't as rugged as the rock boots, but they have a smaller profile which will open up your fin options significantly. The fit problem with most rockboots is the height required to get them in because they are basically hiking boots. By going to something with a slightly less bulky fit, you open up "normal" sizes for most all of the fins. What you are sacrificing is more ankle stability than the sole itself and that ankle stability is what causes the volume to be so large, not the sole. Plenty of wetsuit booties with durable soles. Unsure about any particular ones for Europe, but look at fishing/paddling options. I use NRS paddle shoes because they fit my foot better
Hell, no one actually makes a rockboot that fits my foot properly because it is so wide. They make them plenty long enough, but if I go up to those sizes, there is too much slop in the toe.

@irsubmarine the converse aren't as rugged as the rock boots, but they have a smaller profile which will open up your fin options significantly. The fit problem with most rockboots is the height required to get them in because they are basically hiking boots. By going to something with a slightly less bulky fit, you open up "normal" sizes for most all of the fins. What you are sacrificing is more ankle stability than the sole itself and that ankle stability is what causes the volume to be so large, not the sole. Plenty of wetsuit booties with durable soles. Unsure about any particular ones for Europe, but look at fishing/paddling options. I use NRS paddle shoes because they fit my foot better
Hell, no one actually makes a rockboot that fits my foot properly because it is so wide. They make them plenty long enough, but if I go up to those sizes, there is too much slop in the toe.

That's interesting advice I had not considered non-diving specific alternatives. I appreciate the insight tbone. Makes one think though, plenty of rock boots from scuba manufacturers out there, but not enough fin variants to cover those sizes. That said, I already own the rock boots so I will continue the quest for the perfect fins. I should start a fin company for people with XXL rock boots and long legs. Nice market niche :thumb:

Altama Maritime Assault - Mid

They go up to a size 14 US, which is something like a 48 EU. They also offer wide sizes. They're designed for combat swimmers making a beach entry, they have soles designed for combat use, and they drain quickly. You can get them in camouflage, which as we all know, is the only color cooler than black, which they make as well.

Rock boots are a crappy design, offer no ankle support, and are really only valuable because they have a decent sole.

Thought about Deep6 Eddy Fins? They are probably as close to neutral as you'll get, and seem to run a bit large on sizing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom