XDeep Zeos vs Ghost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the xDeep Zen since my 5th dive and never looked back. Also I'm looking to get a NX Project for doubles when the time comes. I had looked at the ghost but determined that I was not going to travel by plane as much as I preferred to have it a little more robust. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it should I start to travel more and need to lighten up the load. Unfortunately I do not have experience with the two models you mentioned.

If you have questions then pick up the phone and call Tec Dive Gear. I believe it is the US distributor. Sebastian has been very responsive on all my questions usually providing information that was useful that I did not know I didn't know.

Thanks for the info. I will contact Tec Dive Gear.

We are an xDeep dealer. The Zeos is conventional technology, Your comparison should really be between the Ghost and the Zen. We have sold both the Zen and the Ghost.

What some people don’t realize is that the zen plate is very heavy. The zen bladder is also two piece, so it is more easily repairable than the single piece Ghost. Most people who buy the Ghost do so because it is much easier to pack and carry than the Zen.

If you are about to take rescue and since it sounds like you will not be any tec diving, make sure you get the deluxe harness with the adjustable straps and quick release.
90% of my dives are from a boat. I am in good condition and have good range of motion. Would you still suggest going with the deluxe harness? Also, would you suggest the SS or aluminum backplate? I was considering the aluminum backplate as I mostly dive in warm water and only wear a 3mm wetsuit at most.

the bladder on both the zeos and ghost is wide and flappy and overly large for what is needed for warm water travel. the 20lb deep 6 is a light and quick drying travel option. 18lb vdh/oxycheq/apeks would be heavier duty. combine them with an aluminum plate or SS travel plate.

the 30lb dgx is also another budget friendly option.
I was also concerned about the 17kg lift on the Ghost, which is standard. The Zeos has the option of smaller 13kg. Do you think even the 13kg (28lbs) bladder would be too much for warm water rec diving?

I dive a SS backplate all year long. This means in a 3 mm wetsuit down to just a rash guard and shorts. The heavier plate allows me to not use a weight belt. All I need with my 3 mm is to add 2 two pound trim weights to the backplate itself using trim pockets.

I can not speak to the units you are looking at but I can speak to the high quality of XDeep products in general. I love my Stealth Tec 2.0 and it can take quite the beating. I only wish the distributor in this country knew what he was doing and actually helped people.

I looked at the Ghost & Zen in 2017. Ended up purchasing a SS plate for $80 new and the Deep6 20 lb wing on sale. No regrets. Bought the hardware required and put it together myself. Still dive it.

The Ghost had drawbacks of wing size and monowing as mentioned. I liked the idea of it (and the brand), but it wasn't modular and was more expensive than other options.

I would look for a BP <$90 and a Deep6 wing. One is for sale on SB right now for $180. You can get a full set of Deep6 hardware (including AL BP) for it on SB for another $180. Both new. Not from me but I can send you the links.

xDeep makes great kit. I had a Stealth Tec and loved it. I will get another one at some point. I am also interested in the Project for doubles, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. The markup on their products in the U.S. is a bit steep compared to other options that are just as good for BP/wing IMO.

When traveling a ton last year (probably 20+ flights in SE Asia), I always checked all my gear. No issues. Always came in under 23 kg/50 lbs with fins, 2xregs, and gear in a lightweight rolling duffel. I was taking larger commercial flights though; no puddle jumpers. YMMW.

I just bought a Zen, cause Ghost backplate cannot be changed, otherwise I would have bought a Ghost. Zen now comes with new colors too. I imported it from Poland. Around 399 Euro for standard color Zen including SS backplate

I just bought a Zen, cause Ghost backplate cannot be changed, otherwise I would have bought a Ghost. Zen now comes with new colors too. I imported it from Poland. Around 399 Euro for standard color Zen including SS backplate
Do you mind sharing where you bought it and any problem getting them to ship to NA?

I've eliminated the Ghost as an option, because it seems you can't use the backplate with any other wings, and the 38lb wing it comes with is overkill for the type of diving I do; am concerned about the taco effect. BTW, I am based overseas so looking to purchase from a European supplier. There are some good US companies with DIR offers but would be expensive to ship internationally. I'm now considering the APEKS WTX D18 or D30 with AL backplate vs the XDeep Zeos 28 with Al backplate. The XDeep is a bit less expensive, but APEKS seems to be a more reputable company with stronger track record.

Can anyone share their thoughts on these two?
Also, do you think the D18 would offer enough lift?

I normally dive salt water 23-30 degrees C, wearing a 3mm suit or only rash guard. With the 3mm, I normally wear 4kg in integrated pockets. Was thinking to go for the 18lb APEKS wing with 2 kg trim on the tank band and 2kg on the waist band depending on how I need to trim out with the BP&W setup.
XDeep.JPG
APEKS.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom