xmas suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba e

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a bit of a repost but with a second part to the question.

My wife and I are going back to Bonaire this coming xmas thru 1-2-10. Our last trip was in June. We both wear 3/2's on our trips as we dive 4+ times a day and like the added sting/scrape protection.

This, being our 1st winter trip, has brought up a question;

> What water temps should we expect?
We have the old beaten 3/2's and some 4 mil hooded vests (that really deminish comfort level).

I understand everyones comfort level is different. Lets hear from the crowd, traditionaly what temps may we expect? Should we get 5 mill suits?

> Part 2: due the the finacial rape we have received from the airlines (double normal fare due to holidays) we would like to avoid the expence of buying 5mil suits. If we arrive and discovered we are jsut too uncomfortable are there any dive shops on the island with a reasonable selection of 5 mill suits (in sizes)? Also, are the island prices really high?

Thanks in advance,
E

As you've said, everyone is different.

I wear a 3 mm in Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb and do 4dives/day with no problem - but then I dive in Canada. My logs shows temps are always around 80 plus or minus a degree.

The thing I really like about diving on Bonaire is not having to wear a hood/gloves. You could always wear the hood on the last dive if you find you are getting cold. Have you thought about adding a vest or shorty over your current suits?

Personally, I would not buy the 5mm, unless I was going to use it someplace else. I'm not sure about availability of 5mm suits on Bonaire. If you don't get any responses, you might try emailing a few shops. Carib Inn has a pretty good shop.

Have a good trip.

The coldest water you should encounter is 79 degrees. We use 3 mil without any problems (however only average 1-2 dives per day). Before you go through the trouble of purchasing 5 mil, I'd invest in a good hood. It makes quite a difference IMHO.

You should be fine with a 3ml. I use a skin and then a 3ml shortie in Dec-Mar. 79°F is the coldest you should experience "at depth" (around 60 feet or so). Avg water temp on Bonaire is 82°F. I have to second helimvee on Carib Inn. We have been buying stuff from him since 1991. If he doesn't have what you want, I would then go to Wannadive at City in town.

Liz

We were just there first week of November and only saw 82 degrees for a brief minute on one dive. All our other dives stayed pretty constant at right around 84 with a couple of peaks up to 86 at the surface. I was often too warm in a rash guard and swimsuit doing four dives a day but there were plenty of other people who were diving in full 3mm and even a few in full 5mm suits. Looked like a wonderful way to get heat stroke to me especially when we'd see people loading tanks into a truck (at least 10 and maybe as much as 30 minutes from getting into the water) already wearing a zipped up full 3mm suit. For me a 3/2 would be too much in 80 degree water but for many people it might not be enough.

I dive in Bonaire 2-3 times a year. At Christmas I always wear a .5 shirt, a 3/5 vest with hood and a 3mil full. In July I drop out the shirt. My husband wears a 3mil full every time but adds a beanie in the winter. We are also fans of Carib Inn for purchasing on island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom