XS Scuba MiFlex Hose FAILURE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grender

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The following are pictures of the O-Ring of my recently purchased MiFlex Hose. 15 minutes into my first dive of the day (3rd dive total on the hose), my primary second stage started spewing air from the coupling to the hose. 85 feet down, losing about 200 PSI per minute, I was able to make a safe ascent, 2 minute safety stop and get back to the boat.

Aside from being PISSED that my brand new reg setup was out of commish. I had to do the second dive with a rental reg setup from the dive operation, (which was not bad at all).

I contacted the seller from Amazon but they refused to take it back. The seller is 'Shop 709' on Amazon.
Here is their page: Amazon.com At a Glance: Shop 709 Corp.

mwcM2wl.jpg
fdch3ds.jpg

You're in Florida, and didn't buy a hose locally ?? Did you try a new o-ring ? Did you inspect/lube the first one ?

You're in Florida, and didn't buy a hose locally ?? Did you try a new o-ring ? Did you inspect/lube the first one ?

The main point of the post is the fact that I shouldn't have to be dealing with a burst O-ring on my third dive with the hose.

I bought the hose on Amazon because I was buying it along with a Pinnacle wetsuit that my local dive shop didn't have.

My plan of action is to get a new O-ring, so it wont be a huge loss.

And yes, of course, I inspected and lubed it when I got it in the mail.

Hi Grender,We are sorry to hear about your aborted dive. We know how frustrating that can be. While defective o-rings are rare, they do exist. You may have gotten one. I would not worry about the hose. Just get a new o-ring from your LDS and you should be good to go. This is much cheaper and easier than returning the hose. You may want to get a few extra o-rings for your save-a-dive kit too.

Hi Grender,
We are sorry to hear about your aborted dive. We know how frustrating that can be. While defective o-rings are rare, they do exist. You may have gotten one. I would not worry about the hose. Just get a new o-ring from your LDS and you should be good to go. This is much cheaper and easier than returning the hose. You may want to get a few extra o-rings for your save-a-dive kit too.

Thanks for the reply. I've never dealt with this kind of issue before and my first point of contact was the vendor on Amazon who basically told me to shove it.

I am glad it is a quick/cheap fix and I will continue to use my hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
as you have posted this in multiple places, I'll comment here too...

This is not a hose failure as your title leads one to think...

as you have posted this in multiple places, I'll comment here too...

This is not a hose failure as your title leads one to think...

So the hose manufacturer takes no responsibility for the O-rings? I am confused.

I know what a hose failure is. I also know that when the O-ring of a brand new hose gives out after less than one hour of dive time, the hose has failed in some fashion.

I think XS explained it well. The hose is fine. Sometimes O rings are defective. Yours must have been a hidden defect to go three dives before manifesting an issue.

It is a routine fix of a cheap maintenance item. Your LDS can do it easily. There is nothing for XS to take "responsibility" for. You seemed satisfied with their response here. I am sure if the hose had actually failed they would have made it right.

I know it wasn't the actual hose that failed, but to me, the o-ring is basically part of the hose when it is that new.

Mostly, I agree guy, there is just the wtf moment when you think to yourself... What the hell kind of cheap ass o-rings are being used for me to have a failure 3 dives in. This is the first time any of my XS gear has had a failure.

I am very satisfied with the response XS and I've already fixed the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom