Xtar D26 1600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold the button down for a few seconds when it locks the indicator will flash, after that you’ll have to hold it a few seconds before it will turn on.

Hold the button down for a few seconds when it locks the indicator will flash, after that you’ll have to hold it a few seconds before it will turn on.
What is this post responding to?

I received a new D26-1600 just before my trip to the Philippines. I'm in the Philippines now.

The dive light definitely lasts more than 3 minutes. Before I left I took a newly charged battery and tried it out. It appeared to last for the quoted 2.48 hours. I didn't pay attention to if it dimmed. I just had it running while I worked on my computer. When it went out I looked at the clock.

The water is pretty clear here and plenty of sunlight from above. So I haven't needed a dive light. I took it with me yesterday and I noticed during each dive that the light came on by itself. I had the old D26 Whale with me as well and it did not automatically turn on. Now the old D26 Whale has a button with a lock position. Not sure why they moved away from that.

I also noted that I charged the lights but didn't use them for 2 days. When the D26-1600 magically turned on I also noticed the red/green indicator was red. Took the lights back to my room and found the D26 Whale battery started at 4.2V and was at 4.2V. The D26-1600 started at 4.2V but it was now at 3.7V. So it seems if you just store the battery in the light, it will slowly lose its charge.

The issue of running down the battery while it is just stored is one of the specific issues that the early production units had, that they fixed in the later production. My first one had that problem. They eventually sent me a replacement that does not have that problem. With that early one, it also had the problem where if I used it for a brief time and then turned it off, when I turned it back on, it would show the red LED, as if the battery was almost dead. Again, the replacement they sent me does not have that problem, either.

It should not come on by itself. But, if you don't lock the light, it is very easy to turn on by accident.

With the early models (which it sounds like you have), you lock it by pressing the power button 3 times in a row. With the later models, you lock it by pressing and hold the power button for a few seconds.

Okay, figured out the lock feature. I was turning it off then pressing and holding but it would immediately turn on. Then I tried turning it on, pressing and holding the button for over 10 seconds. Didn't lock.

The trick is:
  • Turn it off
  • Press and hold the button (it will turn on)
  • Keep holding the button
  • The light will go out and the power indicator will flash
  • Once it starts flashing, release the button
  • It is now locked
To unlock, hold the button until the power indicator flashes 3 times.

Thanks everyone. Off to sign up for a night dive.

Finished my diving for my trip. I'm resting in Manila before the long flight home. Had a good time diving around Malapascua Island. Once I figured out how to lock my D26-1600 dive light (thanks @lexvil and @stuartv) I no longer had the issue with it turning on at the wrong time.

The D26-1600 is brighter than my old D26 Whale. So I expect the D26-1600 won't burn as long as my D26 Whale. I fully charged the D26-1600 and brought it for a day of 2 tank diving. Left it on even when I wasn't using it. By the end of the day the power indicator was still showing green. My total dive time was just under 2 hours. The light wasn't on when I jumped in. So light wasn't on for the full dive, thus less than 2 hours. Not sure how close to red it was but regardless, I was happy with it.

Based on what @stuartv is saying, I have a newer model. I don't press the power button 3 times to lock it. The lock mechanism sounds like a newer model. However, I did find if I left the battery in the light, it would run the battery down after around 2 days even though the light was off.

One other complaint I have about my new D26-1600 is it is REALLY hard to get it closed. The threads for the battery compartment just aren't easy to get started. My Hollis and old D26 Whale are really easy to thread closed but it is a bit of effort to get the D26-1600 started and not accidentally cross thread the thing.

All in all, the D26-1600 is an okay dive light. I still like my D26 Whale more. I'm not sure if I would buy a D26-1600 today (even without the issues I had earlier). With all the issues I had getting one that worked, I definitely wouldn't have bought a D26-1600.

From my experience with the D26 Whale I would have (and did) buy a dive from XTAR without hesitation. Now, I think I'd do a lot more research and probably go with another dive light in the future.

Finished my diving for my trip. I'm resting in Manila before the long flight home. Had a good time diving around Malapascua Island. Once I figured out how to lock my D26-1600 dive light (thanks @lexvil and @stuartv) I no longer had the issue with it turning on at the wrong time.

The D26-1600 is brighter than my old D26 Whale. So I expect the D26-1600 won't burn as long as my D26 Whale. I fully charged the D26-1600 and brought it for a day of 2 tank diving. Left it on even when I wasn't using it. By the end of the day the power indicator was still showing green. My total dive time was just under 2 hours. The light wasn't on when I jumped in. So light wasn't on for the full dive, thus less than 2 hours. Not sure how close to red it was but regardless, I was happy with it.

Based on what @stuartv is saying, I have a newer model. I don't press the power button 3 times to lock it. The lock mechanism sounds like a newer model. However, I did find if I left the battery in the light, it would run the battery down after around 2 days even though the light was off.

One other complaint I have about my new D26-1600 is it is REALLY hard to get it closed. The threads for the battery compartment just aren't easy to get started. My Hollis and old D26 Whale are really easy to thread closed but it is a bit of effort to get the D26-1600 started and not accidentally cross thread the thing.

All in all, the D26-1600 is an okay dive light. I still like my D26 Whale more. I'm not sure if I would buy a D26-1600 today (even without the issues I had earlier). With all the issues I had getting one that worked, I definitely wouldn't have bought a D26-1600.

From my experience with the D26 Whale I would have (and did) buy a dive from XTAR without hesitation. Now, I think I'd do a lot more research and probably go with another dive light in the future.
Make them replace it for the drain down issue, shouldn’t have to put up with that, mine has been perfect so far, two weeks since I charged it, 15 dives so far in Curaçao with it carried but not on, still green when I turn it on.

@scubadiver888 Just to ask the obvious, are you sure the light is draining the battery and the problem is not the battery itself having a high self-discharge rate?

Make them replace it for the drain down issue, shouldn’t have to put up with that, mine has been perfect so far, two weeks since I charged it, 15 dives so far in Curaçao with it carried but not on, still green when I turn it on.

It has taken me months to get them to give me something that lasts for more than 3 minutes. At this point I'm just tired of dealing with them. It makes a good backup light for my D26 Whale. I can just get into the habit of leaving the battery out of the light until I need to use it. Far easier than dealing with XTAR at this point.

@scubadiver888 Just to ask the obvious, are you sure the light is draining the battery and the problem is not the battery itself having a high self-discharge rate?

I'm pretty sure it isn't the battery. I have 5 batteries I bought at the same time and used with my D26 Whale. I'm still using my D26 Whale. So one battery in the D26 Whale, full charge. Another battery from same batch in the D26-1600. Left them for 2 days (was diving without need for a light). Two days later I turn on the D26-1600 and it goes red in a matter of minutes. Turn on the D26 Whale and it lasts for hours. Got back to my room. Charger says the D26-1600 battery is at 3.7V and the D26 Whale (after an hours of use) is at 4.1V. They both started at 4.3V.

I'm doing a little more testing right now. I'm in Manila and cleaning my gear. While I do that I'm running some tests. I used the D26-1600 for 2 hours then flipped the battery around for storage. Flipped the battery back for use and have had it running for 16 minutes now and indictor is still green. So it is definitely running for more than 2 hours on one charge.

I'll try putting a fully charged battery in it for a day and a fully charged battery in the D26 Whale to see if it drains the battery. I'll even use the battery which has been working fine in the Whale but in the 1600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom