xtx 50 model for singles and doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

Currently have an xtx 200 yoke. My son is getting into diving (GUE rec 1) so I am looking to get another reg. I'd like to get a xtx50 DIN that is suitable for a single or double configuration, given that I may move on to doubles next summer. Any recommendations on what model of the xtx50 DIN would be best to future proof it in the event I go the doubles root. Thanks.

Assuming you're referring to which first stage you need (XTX50 is the second stage) then I suggest the DST.

The turret design works well with singles and can be turned horizontally to work with twins.

DST. Best hose routing for singles *if you don't have a drysuit, it can be used, just has one hosing going up then back down if the turret is horizontal*, best for doubles, and best for sidemount....

If DIY is your thing though, I would wait until the Deep 6 regulators are released at DEMA in a few weeks. A full doubles set should be about the same as a single XTX50/DST.

I'm diving a drysuit. Looks like my options are the DST or DS4? Tbone, given I'm using a drysuit, are you suggesting that the DST might not be best?

DST is still better than DS4, but if you have a drysuit without an inflation bottle and are diving singles, then you have to put the first stage mostly vertical. Primary out the bottom, octo coming out the right, and both inflators coming out the left. Optimal hose routing is similar to the left post of a GUE first stage with the first stage horizontal and the long hose slid over behind the inflator hose. Means to go between singles and doubles the only hose you have to swap is the primary hose over and call it good.

DST also has a second HP port which is nice, but I would make sure it has the 5th port.

DST and DS4 are identical except that DST is slightly longer to allow it to have the turret. Both would be fine for drysuit singles and doubles. The turret (DST) helps out if you are going to do sidemount.

I have DST's just because they were available used and I liked the flexibility. I had the 5th port put on one of my first stages in my doubles set up, but really didn't care for it, and I'll probably stop using it because it causes the hose to be a tad too long. I find it easier to route the hose through one of the other LP ports and I have seen plenty of nice hose routing using DS4s (no turret) and no 5th port. The 5th lp port, might come into play with sidemount, but Tbone would have more experience with that than I.

If you are buying new, you might as well get the DST, but if you happen to find some DS4s used for a good price you shouldn't hesitate on pulling the trigger.

DS4 and DST are essentially identical, but the DST has the second HP port which is important for sidemount
The 5th port is convenient for backmount, but I don't find it useful for sidemount, the swivel turret is what matters. I would personally hold out for DST's if you are committed to Apeks.

Dive Rite XT's represent a much better value than Apeks and you can service them yourself....

DS4 and DST are essentially identical, but the DST has the second HP port which is important for sidemount
The 5th port is convenient for backmount, but I don't find it useful for sidemount, the swivel turret is what matters. I would personally hold out for DST's if you are committed to Apeks.

Dive Rite XT's represent a much better value than Apeks and you can service them yourself....

Hi Tbone ,
Im not a native speaker of English...So i think maybe i didn't understand your words about DST exactlly...
But i just got mine new reg ...its DST+XTX50(did not yet get the 5th port conversion kit)...
I wonder if you mind to answer several more questions to make it easier for me.(^.^)

Questions is (I do not use dry suit, i usually dive at 24 degree or above this temperature) :
1. How to arrange the hose routing for single bottle ? If i don't have 5th port kit.
2. Once i got the 5th port kit.... what is the differance for single bottle ?
3. You said "just has one hosing going up then back down if the turret is horizontal", what does it means "if the turret is horizontal"?
4. You said "Primary out the bottom, octo coming out the right, and both inflators coming out the left. Optimal hose routing is similar to the left post of a GUE first stage with the first stage horizontal and the long hose slid over behind the inflator hose. Means to go between singles and doubles the only hose you have to swap is the primary hose over and call it good."
Here the "bottom" goes out the primary... i thought the 5th port is always at the top of the first stage while connecting to the cylinder valve. Seems like i was wrong?

THX

Easier with pictures.

1. This is a ds4, but with the DST without a 5th port it will look exactly the same.
rig.jpg

2. This is one option with the 5th port. The other is to rotate it all the way over so it looks like the left post of a set of doubles

hosekit_single_eclipse01.jpg

hoseconfig-all.jpg

So look at the regulator with the SPG on it, and that is what your rig will look like, but you'll have the long hose just behind the inflator hose on the turret.

3. If you have a drysuit and try to route your first stage like the doubles picture above, one of the inflators is going to be routed funny
4. This will look like the Halcyon picture with the backplate, you would just have two inflator hoses coming across the left side of your body. The turret is not always up, and if you have a 5th port, it never should be imho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom