XTX FST, MK17 or DS4 for twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a deal with my LDS and it's quite simple, I don't do my regs and they don't fix computer servers. I keep my end of the bargin pay them for my services and inturn they stay open.

Yeah for warm water you can't beat the hose routing and simplicity of the Mk25. The S600 is a great primary. Just avoid the R380 as a backup, they breath lousy.

I have seen the Mk17 but not quite sure how the hose routing works yet.

For the MK17: 2 HP ports on each side plus 2 more LP ports on each side. 2 of the those LP ports are high flow. For backup, a R190 or a R395 is a good choice. The S600 I feel would be a good selection as a primary, but I'm partial to the G250 HP due to the fact they're easier to work on in the field if you had to. The G250 V is, more efficient in ease of breathing and utilizes metal components which makes it great for extreme cold water diving or those dives extreme enviroments. Similar, but yet very different from the G250HP

I've actually seen this in a few threads and was wondering, any reason why the G250's have a tendensy to be recommended over the S600's? Is it reliability or because of performance?

Atomics are out of the question as we don't get support for them in this part of the World. Although, I have to agree that MK25's seem to offer the BEST routing options, I'm hoping to stick to diaphragm as opposed to piston, but it's not a must.

Not so in much reliability, though the G250HP has an edge in that department, it is a better performer than the S600 especially in extreme conditions.

For the MK17: 2 HP ports on each side plus 2 more LP ports on each side. 2 of the those LP ports are high flow. For backup, a R190 or a R395 is a good choice. The S600 I feel would be a good selection as a primary, but I'm partial to the G250 HP due to the fact they're easier to work on in the field if you had to. The G250 V is is by far, far more efficient in ease of breathing and utilizes metal components which makes it great for extreme cold water diving or those dives extreme enviroments. Similar, but yet very different from the G250HP

If anyone can actually tell a SP "high flow" from a "normal" LP port they are smokin' something. Additionally: A) I don't want to work/breathe hard on any dive B) if I'm at substantive depth I'm on trimix and just about any reg breathes great.

I haven't used the never or even seen new G250V.

What is a "high flow" LP port?

One was unsalvageable. QUOTE]

Rtodd,

I'm really curious. What about your DS4 was "unsalvageable"? Excluding ham fisted mechanical damage that we are all subject to from time to time, the only thing I can think of is damage to the HP orifice. This can only be caused by improper disassembly or perhaps by water ingress that could cause corrossion to the chroming. Anything else would be an instant warrantee case. Of the aforementioned, there's little that can be done when we go "damn" and we certainly can't blame Apeks for that. But, with the case of chrome damage, I've managed to carefully clean the hp orifice so that it again represents a smooth and concentric surface and subsequently seals to the seat with 0 creep. Granted, it's no longer chromed and likely to be more susseptable to corrossion in the event of any water ingress.

What else could cause a DS4 to be unrepairable? They're internally simple as dirt. If the orifice isn't dented and it's too much bother to fix it, I'll happily dispose of it for you.:D Free of Charge!

Sort of like the 1/2" LP port on the Apeks regs. :wink:

Thank goodness Apeks has finally given up the 1/2" port of the DST's. Don't tell me Scubapro has adopted the feature.

One was unsalvageable. QUOTE]

Rtodd,

I'm really curious. What about your DS4 was "unsalvageable"? Excluding ham fisted mechanical damage that we are all subject to from time to time, the only thing I can think of is damage to the HP orifice. This can only be caused by improper disassembly or perhaps by water ingress that could cause corrossion to the chroming. Anything else would be an instant warrantee case. Of the aforementioned, there's little that can be done when we go "damn" and we certainly can't blame Apeks for that. But, with the case of chrome damage, I've managed to carefully clean the hp orifice so that it again represents a smooth and concentric surface and subsequently seals to the seat with 0 creep. Granted, it's no longer chromed and likely to be more susseptable to corrossion in the event of any water ingress.

What else could cause a DS4 to be unrepairable? They're internally simple as dirt. If the orifice isn't dented and it's too much bother to fix it, I'll happily dispose of it for you.:D Free of Charge!

When a sealed reg leaks when it isn't supposed to it corrodes the body together unless you pull it apart immediately. I can buy whole new first stages for less than the cost of a new body and other parts, plus a new one dosn't take any labor. You can't tell a diaphragm has leaked unless you pull it apart in most cases. I have a lot of regs. When they get washed and put up because they need repair they could sit for a year or so before overhaul. Unlike a flooded piston, a flooded diaphragm reg just eats itself since rinsing it doesn't clean out all of the salt. Also, and I can't explain this, but due to the nature of the bad apex batch several of them had problems you would associate with a reg being stored under pressure. Since I didn't leave any on tanks, I have not idea what the actual failure causing these problems was.

Apex are bullit proof and last forever between maintenance if they don't leak. Until now, I have never had any that leaked. This is why for stage regs, which are far more prone to getting water in them, I have always used scubapro piston regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom