XZ-1 ... IMO, a poor choice for an underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!! That is exactly what I needed. Scubaboard is such a great format for sharing and obtaining information.

Thank you.

Indeed, it could be problem on your camera or your strobe .. what is your strobe?I have 4 types strobes, ie. YS-01, D-2000, epoque ES-230DS and Metz 58AF-1 (in 10bar).Before a trip, I always check those strobes paired with all camera I have, ie. XZ-1, EPL-1 and SP-350 all working well except no STTL for XZ-1 w/ YS-01. No problem on synchronization although for ES-230DS (manual) during day light I have to set the camera to half power as the sensor seem not sensitive or bad quality FO. The STLL of XZ-1 and D2000 work on all setting (A, S, P and M)

Using a YS-27DX strobe with an optical connection.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Indeed, it could be problem on your camera or your strobe .. what is your strobe?I have 4 types strobes, ie. YS-01, D-2000, epoque ES-230DS and Metz 58AF-1 (in 10bar).Before a trip, I always check those strobes paired with all camera I have, ie. XZ-1, EPL-1 and SP-350 all working well except no STTL for XZ-1 w/ YS-01. No problem on synchronization although for ES-230DS (manual) during day light I have to set the camera to half power as the sensor seem not sensitive or bad quality FO. The STLL of XZ-1 and D2000 work on all setting (A, S, P and M)
The YS-01 does sttl fine in a, s or p mode, just not in manual.....

I wish that I could test this, but I sold my XZ-1 and bought the E PL2.
I purchased two YS-01's when they first came out for my DX-2G. Later, when the XZ-1 was released, I purchased one of them.
I also had the PTWC-01 wide angle lens for the XZ-1. At the time I purchased the XZ-1 I was told that the sttl would work in any mode (unlike the Canon).......
After reading the review on Back Scatter I looked through my pics that I had taken with the XZ-1.
The following pics were shot with the strobes in sttl and the camera set at iso 100, f 6.3, ss 125, center weighted metering, and manual mode........
Apologies for the mini hi jack......

Attachments

• P3310260.jpg
    P3310260.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 175
  • P3310273.jpg
    P3310273.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 156
  • P3310299.jpg
    P3310299.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 134
Hi Everyone, just read this post so here's my 2 cents...

I was shooting w/ Canon G10-12 but tested & found the XZ-1 lens much sharper...which Olympus later told me coz they wanted to make a better compact camera!! It was mainly the lens that sold me coz yes, it's menu system is not the most sophisticated.

The only real limitation i found w/ this camera is:
1. no flash in Super macro mode...NWGrateful...maybe this was the problem??
2. manual white balance is not nearly as reliable than even their c5050 model...which puzzles me?!

The statement that it's a useless camera without strobes is not very justified i think...just take a look at the first few pics i took of Helen w/o strobe here:
Workshop - UW Photos - NoSTROBES: 1-on-1 w/ Helen | Facebook

The case of shooting w/o strobes: It's actually more useful to have a wide angle lens...then strobes!! Just check out this:
Hi Everyone, just read this post so here's my 2 cents...

I was shooting w/ Canon G10-12 but tested & found the XZ-1 lens much sharper...which Olympus later told me coz they wanted to make a better compact camera!! It was mainly the lens that sold me coz yes, it's menu system is not the most sophisticated.

The only real limitation i found w/ this camera is:
1. no flash in Super macro mode...NWGrateful...maybe this was the problem??
2. manual white balance is not nearly as reliable than even their c5050 model...which puzzles me?!

The statement that it's a useless camera without strobes is not very justified i think...just take a look at the first few pics i took of Helen w/o strobe here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151033325798080.446312.170606518079&type=3

The case of shooting w/o strobes: It's actually more useful to have a wide angle lens...then strobes!! More in this link:
http://www.facebook.com/notes/lawre...slr-mirrorless-or-micro-43rds/477592048920526

I've been shooting w/ this camera since April 2011 & would vouch that it (& many other compacts) can be good camera for UW use...
http://AGuaPictures.com/_News/OlympusXZ1_UWphotos/

Cheers,
Alex

PS: Yes, iAuto is not very suited for UW.
PPS: Lumpsucker...I saw this once diving in my hometown of Vancouver at Whytecliffe park...it was the fully & coolest thing ever....I was w/ an OWI diver in training...& he just wondered why i was so excited to see something for the 1st time in over 10 yrs o diving there?!

I've been shooting w/ this camera since April 2011 & would vouch that it (& many other compacts) can be good camera for UW use...
Olympus XZ-1 Photos - 2010 - - &copy 2004-2011 AGuaPictures Productions -

Cheers,
Alex

PS: Yes, iAuto is not very suited for UW.
PPS: Lumpsucker...I saw this once diving in my hometown of Vancouver at Whytecliffe park...it was the fully & coolest thing ever....I was w/ an OWI diver in training...& he just wondered why i was so excited to see something for the 1st time in over 10 yrs o diving there?!

Went to your links but couldn't find any pics taken with the XZ-1. Can you post some here... especially any macro or supermacro. I used this camera for the first time this summer and was a little disappointed with the macro... with and without my subsee +10.

Here few macro pics taken by my younger daughter (13 y.o) before she flooded this camera on our recent trip to manado:(

Maymel_squat_lobster.jpgMaymelFish_7.jpgMaymelshrimp.jpgMaymelcrab.jpgMaymelFish_6.jpgMaymelFish_5.jpgMaymelFish_4.jpg

Great shots...loved the details on the squat lobster... and that's what I was hoping to get with my XZ-1 since I was able to get shots like that with my old G-10.

For some reason, the AF would never lock onto the subject and I was never able to move in as close to the subject as I was used to.

What settings were used on the camera? Was the lens positioned wide or zoomed close up?

Was a wet lens used on any of these are were they all taken using the camera without one?

Have a trip coming up the beginning of October and would really like to get the type of macro shots I've taken in the past with my canon.

Appreciate any help or suggestions...

Back
Top Bottom