• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

XZ-1 ... IMO, a poor choice for an underwater camera

Discussion in 'The Olympus Outlet' started by BCSGratefulDiver, Jan 13, 2012.

1. coralcruiser

coralcruiser Dive Charter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks... was wondering if those were using simply macro or if she used a wet lens.

Do you have macro pics without the add on lens? Just wondering how close you (or she) was able to get without the add on.

Also... since you had the internal strobe at minimum, I take it you dialed in the inon as opposed to shooting it in ttl?

There are things I really like about this camera and things that I don't like... but then, no P+S has everything I like. :)

2. Wisnu

Wisnu Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    for small object, say less than 20mm, she typically used wet lens - for large macro object such as orang utan crab below, no wet lens. You can find more on her blog/website.

I can't really recall how close to the object - but not very close. The XZ-1 super macro does not have flash function. So, we set to macro.Strobe is adjusted manualy. It's easy once you get used,

Attached Files:

3. LawrenceAlexWu

LawrenceAlexWu Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives:
    Hi CoralCruiser...the Gallery link is flash based so it can't be seen on an iPhone...but otherwise, all the links seem to work... Cheers, Alex

4. coralcruiser

coralcruiser Dive Charter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Hi Alex.... I don't use an iphone. :)

Was just trying to figure out if the pics from the link were all taken with the oly since there were other cameras mentioned on the top of the page. Will be able to play with my xz-1 in october when I head back to dive the east end off GCM. Still not getting as close to the subject with the macro but just read the specs for macro with this camera. May need to get a +5 from Keri now. :)

5. herbdb

herbdb Manta Ray Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have photos from two trips to Bonaire that were taken with my XZ-1. I shot them in raw mode and white balance was corrected if necessary. Other than that they are pretty much as shot and not sorted for quality. Click on the photobucket link in the signature block. Some from the August trip were shot with a ULC 165 +6 diopter. This was my first attempt with a close-up lens and I will need more practice.