Yak divers in Venice ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bestshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys ,
If there are any yak divers in Venice that would be willing to share your knowledge with me can you either reply here or pm me. I'm thinking of getting one sometime so I can go out a little further and find some bigger teeth ... I'm interested in seeing your setups or what you might reccomend . Maybe eventually meeting up sometime and doin some divin together .

Thanks

I'm a yak diver in Venice. It is important to get the right yak. Don't just buy one because it is cheap. I have a Cobra Fish/Dive sit on top. I have never flipped it accidentally. I had a friend who bought a sit on top at either Sam's Cub or Costco & the gear well was too shallow & the tank kept sliding resulting in it constantly flipping. Do your homework & make sure you get the right boat. I've dived with people who have Ocean yaks. They have a nice v in the back which you can slide the tank up through when getting it out of the water but they are not as stable as the Fish/Dive nor is there any interior storage. Anything that is not stored inside the yak has got to be tethered to the boat.

Thanks , I've seen a lot of YouTube info on this and it looks fun . Hopefully I'll find something to play with

I have a couple Malibu Pro Explorers (sit on top) that I rigged for diving. I have never flipped one, although I had a friend start to sink because we forgot to put the drain plug back in. I use the rear well to hold the tank with BC pre-inflated. I run a thick bungee around the handle and valve with a snap link to make sure it stays with yak if I ever flip. I used to bungee across the top of the gear as well as the valve, but I have found that it is overkill as my well is deep enough to not let tank out super easy. I keep the mask and bags, go pro and drinking water in center console. Created a PVC flag pole, and boat sized dive flag to put in the scupper drainage hole near seat. I use the right side strap by the handle to keep the flag pole secure on trip out. I put the flag across the front and under the fins. I usually keep fins up top with another bungee and snap to make sure they can't slide off. I occasionally will throw fins in gator hatch on the way in to get them out of the way. I like having them up top for quick access if needs be. I keep a life vest in gator hatch up front. I tie my lead line to the front handle and interweave the dive flag line holder between the front built in bungee. Overall I am very pleased with my investment on the kayaks. I have made several trips with my wife and friends using both of them. When I go out solo it makes getting to my spots much faster than surface swimming.

The biggest concerns are when the wind kicks up you can get pull around under water pretty good. I have gotten bruises on my biceps by going out after the wind has kicked up. The other part is getting the gear back on the kayak. If your BC has easy emergency dropping of weights I find the tank is much easier to get in if you remove those first and put them in the center console. Then the trick is to use your arm as a fulcrum and put the end of the tank in first. I can usually get it in within 3 tries, and that's a steel 120.

I typically walk the kayak out with my gear on. I bought a set of beach wheels for pulling it that make it much easier to get down to beach. Don't try to pull kayak with gear in it through the beach sand, even with wheels. Heart attack inducing. I also like to keep a waterproof container in the center console with my keys and phone. The perk about having this is you can download any mapping GPS app and have it record your kayak trip so you can see where you have been and estimate where you found the good spots for later.

If you can swing the extra work of hanging it on your car and dragging it to the beach, it certainly makes getting out to good spots more bearable than a 30-45 minute swim. I love it. Just wish I could get out more often.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom