Yap did NOT blow me away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

been to palau and yap in 2003. liked yap more than palau. yap has not only mantas. mandarins, some of my best shark pictures are taken in yap.

if pilot fish gets bored after 20 min of a reef dive then it is obviously not the right thing for him. agreed. it seams that your preferences are not likely to match with the majority of divers (which is absolutely ok). but this dosen't mean that yap offers no good diving.

flying times seems to bother the most. how about flying via manila? nice and easy day flights at gentlemens hours. i wouldn't say im a gentleman im just in a age where you plan you flights ahead ;-)

been to palau and yap in 2003. liked yap more than palau. yap has not only mantas. mandarins, some of my best shark pictures are taken in yap.

if pilot fish gets bored after 20 min of a reef dive then it is obviously not the right thing for him. agreed. it seams that your preferences are not likely to match with the majority of divers (which is absolutely ok). but this dosen't mean that yap offers no good diving.

flying times seems to bother the most. how about flying via manila? nice and easy day flights at gentlemens hours. i wouldn't say im a gentleman im just in a age where you plan you flights ahead ;-)

swisstrav:

The trip is long enough without going the long way around.
I have dived Yap and Palau and the best shark shots for me where in Palau.

Pilot Fish....too bad you did not have a chance to go to Palau.....it is the Gold standard for me also.....I'm the opposite of chickdiver...one or two wrecks and I am ready to move on.....I like the big stuff and pretty fishes. I see Mantas at a couple of spots all the time in Palau....out of 8 years of going to Palau...this past March was the first time vis was not up to par.

I think the problem with Yap is not that the diving is bad, but that the diving at other islands such as Chuuk/Truk and Palau is outstanding.

Drag Yap so it sits off the coast of Thailand or Singapore and people would be raving about it.

Tassie_Rohan:
Drag Yap so it sits off the coast of Thailand or Singapore and people would be raving about it.

and add cheaper competition to Continental Micronesia...

I bet Mike Vietch would luv that...:D

pakman:
I bet Mike Vietch would luv that...:D

Nah - I think he would feel threatened with the influx of Thai and Singaporese women: he’s a betel nut man you know....

swiss, you misunderstand. Yap was not bad, but it certainly is not good enough to warrant a long, expesnisve trip from the US, Canada or UK. After two mornings of sitting at the bottom of Mil Channel waiting for the elusive manta, [ I did get many pics of manta one day, see my photo gallery ] that did not come, you want to see something else. That something else are reefs that are not better than what we can see closer to home, in the Caribbean, and in many cases, the Caribe has better.

Everyone I spoke to in Yap that had just come from Palau were saying how much better Palau was.

I think getting to any resort island at 2:30 am and leaving at 2:30 am is a bit much. Sorry.

swisstrav:

That is in line with what I've heard from many other divers. They have even used that phrase, Palau is the Gold Standard. No one EVER says that about Yap.

Travelnsj:
Pilot Fish....too bad you did not have a chance to go to Palau.....it is the Gold standard for me also.....I'm the opposite of chickdiver...one or two wrecks and I am ready to move on.....I like the big stuff and pretty fishes. I see Mantas at a couple of spots all the time in Palau....out of 8 years of going to Palau...this past March was the first time vis was not up to par.

Tassie_Rohan:
Nah - I think he would feel threatened with the influx of Thai and Singaporese women: he’s a betel nut man you know....
Ish wears betel nut???? :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom