Yawning under water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just don't sneeze underwater while trying to keep your eyes open...your eyes will obviously fall out, but thankfully your safety mask will be there to catch them (the mask's true purpose). this happened to a friend of mine

Well, if the question was in reference to a tradition, mouth wide open yawn I'd say it's doubtful. In that scenario, two obvious problems. 1) Mouth wide open (not sealed around reg). 2) Inhaling with lack of seal around reg (very bad). :)

The dog days of summer have in fact arrived. You have better have a well-tuned easy breathing regulator otherwise hello salt water mouthwash...

Last edited:
It's possible... you just hang on to the reg using your lips and let your jaw drop a little. However, I usually need one of those bigger traditional mouth-wide-open yawns to equalize so the "lips squeezing" method probably won't work as well for that.

You can definitely yawn underwater I've done it a few times.
Just keep your lips closed around the mouth piece and hold your reg in to make sure it doesn't fall out.
I had to get up early that Friday morning for work and we did a night dive that night so I was pretty tired.

Yes you can yawn underwater, no you don't necessarily lose your reg, even with a wide yawn. Even if you do, just put it back in... It's no big deal :) I often yawn on early morning dives :)

There have been a few occasions where I thought I might fall asleep mid-dive in Bonaire. You have that womb-like water temperature, no current, and you're suspended over a reef that looks exactly like your previous 100 dives there and you start to nod off a little. I've never yawned, though, but I may have caught a few minutes of sleep from time to time. :sleepy:

just don't sneeze underwater while trying to keep your eyes open...your eyes will obviously fall out, but thankfully your safety mask will be there to catch them (the mask's true purpose). this happened to a friend of mine

ROFLMAO Thats a good one. :rofl3: Probably one of the best ones I have heard yet LOL :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Now look what you've all done, you've made me start yawning and I can't stop.
yawn.jpg

Try to find some REALLY hungry sharks... and do it while bleeding. That'll keep the yawning to a minimum:D

Back
Top Bottom