Yeeesh - way over tightened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyhow, will get it sorted. And will definitely keep the WD40 for my bike chain and unloosening other joins that I'm unlikely to be breathing from anytime soon :D
Um. You may want to reconsider using WD40 on your bike chain. Read this webpage. The guy looks like he knows what he's talking about. :idk:

Good luck with the reg. You never mentioned why you wanted to change out the hose. Another option is just to use the reg as-is until it needs to be overhauled. Then, the reg tech would have to worry about how to remove the darn hose. :wink: Have him install the new one.

Um. You may want to reconsider using WD40 on your bike chain. Read this webpage. The guy looks like he knows what he's talking about. :idk:

Good luck with the reg. You never mentioned why you wanted to change out the hose. Another option is just to use the reg as-is until it needs to be overhauled. Then, the reg tech would have to worry about how to remove the darn hose. :wink:

Jeez, aren't you the proper merchant of doom? I'm gonna start getting nervous about posting anything now in case you have a link that shows how it's going to kill me or break my kit. Thankfully I don't use my splits anymore so I should be insulated from that particular hazard :D

But thanks for the top tips!! Next time I'm looking to fix a puncture I'll definitely PM you :D

I'm changing the hose cos it's too long and annoying. I just got my first BP/W today (read this locked thread here if you're an insomniac http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ht-systems/324907-ditching-poodle-jacket.html) after a 32 day wait courtesy of our (UK) postal service. Anyhow, the hose that comes with that fits wel [in terms of length], the old one doesn't. So I wanted to change it. I've just stuck it in a different lp port for the moment and will get the other one removed either by soap and myself or increasingly likely by someone who knows what they're doing. Regs are pretty new (12 months) so not planning to get them serviced unless I believe they need to be.

J

Jeez, aren't you the proper merchant of doom? I'm gonna start getting nervous about posting anything now in case you have a link that shows how it's going to kill me or break my kit. Thankfully I don't use my splits anymore so I should be insulated from that particular hazard :D
Well, if stating that WD40 should not be used on scuba regulators makes me a "merchant of doom," I'll accept that title with a smile. :D
But thanks for the top tips!! Next time I'm looking to fix a puncture I'll definitely PM you :D
Sadly I don't know much about punctures. I bet that your big can of WD40 probably won't help, though. :crafty:

Get a 6 point tubing wrench to avoid tearing up the the hose fitting flats. I am afraid force and possibly ruined hose or worse may be the end result.
If air isn't leaking out then no type of liquid such as soapy water is going type get into the treads and it is unusual to find corrosion in the threads unless water got into the regulator through the filter.

Wow, the old WD40 debate. If you really want to get into that one just hit any of the motorcycle enthusiast sites and ask about it as chain lube.
Anyway, as a 20yr mechanic I would suggest heating the reg up in some hot water then using a thick piece of leather carefully clamp the reg in a vise (lightly!!!) the using a line wrench (they know what they are at any parts store) try backing it out. If that fails then it is time for the vise grips or pipe wrench. You will destroy the fitting but you should be able to get it out. If somehow you break it off in there then try an easy-out (better yet, get someone with experience using them) and back it out.
Good luck!

...based on your past 'luck' in the shower, have you tried showering with the reg ?

Wow, the old WD40 debate. If you really want to get into that one just hit any of the motorcycle enthusiast sites and ask about it as chain lube.
Anyway, as a 20yr mechanic I would suggest heating the reg up in some hot water then using a thick piece of leather carefully clamp the reg in a vise (lightly!!!) the using a line wrench (they know what they are at any parts store) try backing it out. If that fails then it is time for the vise grips or pipe wrench. You will destroy the fitting but you should be able to get it out. If somehow you break it off in there then try an easy-out (better yet, get someone with experience using them) and back it out.
Good luck!

Until this evening I thought WD40 was possibly the planet's salvation and that if only they had it in the middle east then we'd get some results. Clearly the situation is more complex than this and they need soap and water too. And possible some leather although I struggle with them needing more heat.

I think I've damaged the host connection enough now and after one last try after soaking I'm gonna take it to people with the correct equipment to try to fix it.

Cheers,
John

Good luck!

The only thing I would add is, if the hose is toast then cut if off to get it out of the way. Then, after everything is hot, dip just the hose end into ice-water and then giove it a shot. I would try to mount the reg in a vise with the hose end pointing downward so I could apply cold to just the hose end. I would then use an ice cube rather than ice water. And , I would probably go right to strong vise grips on the hose end and use a rubber mallet to tap the vise grips if hand pressure did not do the job. Don't use excessive force with the mallet - tap rather than slam. And if it does not work right away, repeat the hot and cold treatments an try again. Oh, and with the fitting upside down, check twice on the lefty loosey. I always had to pause a moment to think about that whenever I was laying under a car.

I'll try the same here but given that none of the other nuts are stuck and I know this one was removed a month ago, and the kit was really well washed by me afterwards, I'm struggling to see how it isn't over tightening. But whatever it is, it just is not budging. I actually think it was probably one of the boat hands rather than the guide that swapped it round. If they tighten nuts any way similar to how they drive the boats then this outcome is entirely predictable.

Hopefully they didn't cross thread it.

Cheers Bubble.

Yeah I won't let that person touch my gear again. I mean it is tight like you cannot believe.

I'll give it a soak in soapy water in case any salt crystals aren't helping the situation. Failing that bring it down the sole remaining LDS in my area. But I've already tried all the tools you've just advised against and I can verify that your advice is indeed correct. Nut is fairly well stripped. And I wouldn't risk using the hose again now after the dance I had with it in the bedroom earlier. Pretty hard to get leverage cos the first stage is hard to pin down stationary.

Will see how the soapy water goes. BTW - are WD40 or other oil based lubricants a no-no with first stages? Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks,

J

Might want to stay away from the WD40... not good stuff around things you plan to breath from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom