Yeeesh - way over tightened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

So it was a simple case of over tightening and my not having decent wrenches. I went and bought some decent quality wrenches and with the steadying hand of a friend was able to exert enough leverage to get the hose off. No cross threading thank god. I've now plugged that one up anyhow (with the original cap, not anything drastic :D) and am using an alternative port for my new LP hose. So panic over.

Troutmaster, yeah, I've been visited by the gear bogeyman recently. But I've learned some valuable lessons and am now lining all entrances to the house with garlic :wink: And you need to remember that I'm learning diving in many ways in a physical vacuum - pretty much all input I am getting from diving is by diving and from on here. I don't know anyone local well enough to ask them stupid questions :D This is the true value of this board :D

Cheers chaps,

J

:thumb: :thumb:

Great news InTheDrink, glad you got it fixed, and the best was that in the end you sorted it out yourself.

Best wishes.

So it was a simple case of over tightening and my not having decent wrenches. I went and bought some decent quality wrenches and with the steadying hand of a friend was able to exert enough leverage to get the hose off. No cross threading thank god. I've now plugged that one up anyhow (with the original cap, not anything drastic :D) and am using an alternative port for my new LP hose. So panic over.
That's very good news! I'm very glad you didn't have to deal with any cross-threading issues.

Did you plug up the port in question for any reason in particular? Following a careful inspection, I see no reason not to use that port again. Or am I missing something here?

Have fun diving...

That's very good news! I'm very glad you didn't have to deal with any cross-threading issues.

Did you plug up the port in question for any reason in particular? Following a careful inspection, I see no reason not to use that port again. Or am I missing something here?

Have fun diving...

Sorry terminology - I just put the rivet (oops, terminology again) back in the port and decided to give it a rest. If I get some other device that wants to use it that'll be fine. Although I can't think of why I'd need anything else on an LP port - which makes me want to ask the question but courtesy prevents me.

And yes it is good news no problems with cross threading. And as LeadTurn says, good I dealt with it myself. In tandem with trying to rig my first BP/W this is all a lot of fun, especially when I've no-one physical to show me. It makes it all stick in the head a lot better when you're quasi working it out for yourself. With a little help from your (SB) friends, as McCartney and Lennon once said.

Dealing with kit yourself I think does build confidence. The 'physical' people that I meet around here always seem to want to make it a hierarchy/magister/pedagogue issue asserting their own knowledge and position which doesn't really make me that keen to engage (last example from yesterday was a chap loudly saying 'nothing wrong with your kit, it's your technique'. All I asked him was whether my cam bands were routed right and they were, not that that's the point).

Anyhow, thanks for your help. I'll likely post more questions that probably don't deserve answers from people so knowledgeable but it says a lot about the kind of people that you are that you're willing to lend a hand anyway.

Cheers,
John

Sorry terminology - I just put the rivet (oops, terminology again) back in the port and decided to give it a rest. If I get some other device that wants to use it that'll be fine. Although I can't think of why I'd need anything else on an LP port - which makes me want to ask the question but courtesy prevents me.
Well, I've got a total of 4 LP ports on my first stage. Two LP ports are used for second stages (primary, backup). One LP port is used for the BCD inflater hose. The last LP port is used for the drysuit inflater hose.

If you don't have a drysuit yet, I can understand why you wouldn't feel the need to use that last LP port. :)

Well, I've got a total of 4 LP ports on my first stage. Two LP ports are used for second stages (primary, backup). One LP port is used for the BCD inflater hose. The last LP port is used for the drysuit inflater hose.

If you don't have a drysuit yet, I can understand why you wouldn't feel the need to use that last LP port. :)

Aha! Bingo!

I guess I would have found out this Sunday anyway then! Doing drysuit and rescue course at same time. I'm guessing I'll be the victim (or with some luck, the patient :D)

Thanks for the insight - I'll feel a little more clued in come Sunday and I like to be on top of what I'm doing.

Cheers!

J

p.s. and now for bed - up at 4.30am for flight to Berlin for meeting then meeting with (wannabee) rock-star brother on tour.

Seems to me the moral of this saga is that cheap tools are a false economy. I'm glad the episode turned out as well as it did. Hoses need to be tightened only a little past snug.

Although I can't think of why I'd need anything else on an LP port - which makes me want to ask the question but courtesy prevents me.

In answer to the perceived question that you didn't ask, another reason for the extra ports is that people like to route hoses differently.

Isn't it amazing what knowledge and proper tools can accomplish.

Isn't it amazing what knowledge and proper tools can accomplish.

Isn't it just. And the joy is that the law of diminishing returns is unlikely to apply to me for a very long time when it comes to diving. There is SOOOOOO much to learn.

And I'm enjoying the tinkering and as it's diving kit and therefore cannot set precedent for household DIY, I'm happy to fully engage :D (my father, an amateur artist/painter uses the same argument about painting the house, claiming allergy to emulsion: you gotta love the man)

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom