• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Yellow hoses and Yellow regulator Question

Discussion in 'New Divers & Those Considering Diving' started by ssssnake529, May 11, 2021.

1. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Yup. Surely a test of the zip tie on that mouthpiece! :wink:

CuzzA likes this.
  2. marsh9077

marsh9077 Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives

Despite what others have said the color of your hose and reg is irrelevant. I don't know of any agency that has a specific criteria requiring specific colors for your hoses and regulators. They can be whatever you want. Yes some recommend yellow for a donation color but this is not universal, for example I personally like colored hoses and I use yellow for intermediate non hypoxic trimix gases but this is purely a personal preference thing. The only color codding that I can think of that is someone universal is green for high o2 deco mixes, but even this is not set is stone or universal I think this just more comes from and US industry standard with industrial/medical gases.

3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    For short people, a 60” hose does NOT suck. When I was diving backmount (single or doubles), it wrapped around my torso without having any annoying extra to deal with. I tried a 60” SM but it doesn’t work so back to 7ft. At least I don’t have to worry about tucking any extra into my belt. It’s tucked in hose retainers on right tank.

shoredivr likes this.
  4. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Working toward Cenotes ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yellow hose and cover on the primary donate might simplify explanations topside. And cause fewer 'but your necklace is yellow, I don't understand..." comments. Plus colored hoses and webbing helps if you get hoses or webbing tangled up, underwater or on the surface.

All my hoses are black because that was what was available, not because it is the best choice. My webbing is migrating to bright colors.

If you can't find long yellow, Deep6 has long orange as orange is their color: Individual LP Hoses - Parts and Tools - Regulators

kumimonster and ssssnake529 like this.
  5. ssssnake529

ssssnake529 Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    According to the manufacturer, the only difference between my octo and my primary is the yellow color.

Lorenzoid and shoredivr like this.
  6. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Of course they are the same.
    No body care about the colour except yourself!

7. David Novo

David Novo REEF Volunteer

I guess this is more in favour of primary donate than a yellow secondary. If the diver is going to aggressively grab a regulator, chances are it is the one in your mouth (between bubbles and yellow, my brain tends to associate breathable gas with the former).

8. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Nobody cares about colours when using primary donate where you give the regulator to the diver without gas.

The reason for the yellow is for the "take it from me" alternate where you wait for the out of gas diver to find your regulator, untangle it and breathe (or drown trying).

You will see an out of gas diver way before they come over and say "hello old chap, would you mind awfully if I could borrow some gas as I seem to have lost mine…". A drowning diver really won’t mind what colour the reg and hose is,

Question for the panel: has ANYONE EVER had a diver unexpectedly TAKEN the reg from their mouth?

I postulate this is an ultra-rare event

9. hedonist222

hedonist222 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Isn't it generally understood that an OOA diver should reach for the yellow regulator?
    Whether they actually do that during an OOA is something else but they are aware they should.

When I dive with a partner, I point out that my secondary second stage yellow regulator on a clip is theirs.
    My primary is mine and won't be going far anyways - because it is on a necklace around my neck.

If someone other than my partner reached for the necklaced regulator, it would inevitably ricochet back to me. The plan is to put it back into my mouth while giving them my spare second stage.

"the plan"

ssssnake529 likes this.
  10. David Novo

David Novo REEF Volunteer

Probably true. But this is a case of conditional probability "What is the probability that a diver takes the reg from your mouth, if he is OOA and is grabbing one of your regs?". The answer to this question is what is relevant for this argument not the unconditional probability you stated.

Depends on your protocols. Primary donate usually does not include a yellow regulator (or the colour is not relevant).