Yellow hoses and Yellow regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably true. But this is a case of conditional probability "What is the probability that a diver takes the reg from your mouth, if he is OOA and is grabbing one of your regs?". The answer to this question is what is relevant for this argument not the unconditional probability you stated.

Depends on your protocols. Primary donate usually does not include a yellow regulator (or the colour is not relevant).

I mean isn't it taught that one should reach for the other diver's secondary second stage?
Regardless of secondary second stage color.

Again, depends on your protocols. I am not sure if the majority of the agencies follow the self-service approach.

Yeah but I doubt any training agency advocates:

find the nearest diver and grab the regulator out of their mouth

It surely has to be:
if you cannot gesture you're OOA, then reach for secondary second stage

It surely has to be:

I would rather have my buddy (or any diver for that matter) do the former than the latter. I am pretty sure other primary donate divers feel the same way.

It surely has to be:

Panic and grab the first regulator...

• As solo divers we don't suffer that problem, but would probably have a longhose.
  • As technical divers we don't suffer that problem as the divers would be competent and have reserves and backups.
  • As rebreather divers we don't suffer that problem, otherwise a smack in the mouth would resolve it (attempting to grab my loop would result in an underwater fight). But you could have my bailout (and pay me for putting it into test and filling it).
  • As cave divers we don't suffer that problem as everyone has backups and is calm.

I think it's only when diving with novices who don't monitor their gas and who dive without any form of reserves.

There's always this particular style of education from someone that presents an open view

I was taught to give the OOA signal to my buddy and wait for his "donation".
No real experience as a donor or recipient.
If I am diving with a stranger I will explain to him/her that the one in mouth is the one that they will receive in an unlikely event. Leave the one under my chin alone.

I would rather have my buddy (or any diver for that matter) do the former than the latter. I am pretty sure other primary donate divers feel the same way.

well it could be a little conflicting because I am fairly certain most agencies teach OOA divers to reach for the yellow secondary (hence the color of reg/hose being yellow)

In your case, I would suggest you make mention of this to your buddy and fellow divers on the boat - unless everyone in your area has the same setup
In my experience, the primary is short and the secondary is long for donating

My secondary is longer than my primary so I can donate it - a traditional setup

I had a conversation about this topic recently.
First of course you want to be pro active, so color doesn't matter.
But let's say you didn't see it coming.

The OOA diver is coming towards you.
He sees the yellow hose under your arm, and graps it. What will happen?
Not much, especially if it's a 7ft hose which is typically "locked" under the light tank.

So in my opinion the yellow hose is more confusing then helping, when someone is not familiar with primary donate. If he is, then he don't need colored hoses..

A yellow reg would help in my opinion, so the diver knows what to grasp.

I dive mine full black, but I thinks it's not wrong to dive yellow reg with black hose.

well it could be a little conflicting because I am fairly certain most agencies teach OOA divers to reach for the yellow secondary (hence the color of reg/hose being yellow)

In your case, I would suggest you make mention of this to your buddy and fellow divers on the boat - unless everyone in your area has the same setup
In my experience, the primary is short and the secondary is long for donating

My secondary is longer than my primary so I can donate it - a traditional setup

That is usually what I do when I dive with someone in a different configuration.
My point was not that it is an issue. It was that your statements are not always true. As far as I am aware, even SSI (not sure about PADI) allows teaching in primary donate configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom