Yellow hoses and Yellow regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba diving fatalities - Wikipedia

Poor gas management is the main issue.
No skill or technique required but for some divers.......

I have seen far too many cases that the dive guide had to share gas with diver with near empty tank!
Are they plain stupid or what?

Scuba diving fatalities - Wikipedia

Poor gas management is the main issue.
No skill or technique required but for some divers.......

I have seen far too many cases that the dive guide had to share gas with diver with near empty tank!
Are they plain stupid or what?

I believe most people that run out of gas are new divers or complacent divers. A newer diver in my experience will get over saturated pretty quick trying to be buoyant staying with the group and their first time in the ocean after initial training is overwhelming for some. A good dive master will be beside them and asking them their pressure status. However a good new diver will be checking his/her spg and telling the dive master what their status is. The majority of new divers train in fresh water where they may use 6 or more pounds of weight, in the ocean they may need 14 pounds or more for example. So I don’t think they are stupid, I just think they are overwhelmed. Experience helps a lot.

Glenn

Yes sir, this is what I was taught during stress and rescue. Long hose etc. Appreciate your response. I’m not the best at responding. You have hit the nail on the head.

Glenn

I would pretty confidently risk saying that the proportion of divers in a primary donate configuration that have a long hose is considerably higher than the ones that dive a secondary donate configuration.

I would pretty confidently risk saying that the proportion of divers in a primary donate configuration that have a long hose is considerably higher than the ones that dive a secondary donate configuration.

Well that’s your opinion. However when you purchase a new setup unless you specifically order it different your secondary (yellow) hose will be longer.

Glenn

Well that’s your opinion. However when you purchase a new setup unless you specifically order it different your secondary (yellow) hose will be longer.

Glenn

A long hose on a primary donate configuration has usually 5-7 ft.
An octopus (secondary donate configuration) has usually 30-40 inch.
Are you sure, it is just my opinion?

You could never ever predict what would a OOA diver behave in such situation.

One question I kept asking myself especially having read so many OOA incidences! How difficult it is to check your own spg?

While I completely agree with you on checking SPG, weird stuff happens. I remember read a book, and the author talked how the tank had filled with water internally, and only had like a few minutes of air. They found there where issues where there filling station was. Another issues in checking SPG is loosing track of your team, being afraid of loosing the DM or partner. Lots of different things can happen.

Yes sir, this is what I was taught during stress and rescue. Long hose etc. Appreciate your response. I’m not the best at responding. You have hit the nail on the head.

Glenn

Why thank you sir... It good to hear that this stuff was taught in your course. Props to your instructor.

When you purchase a standard setup say from Aqualung for example. The primary black hose will be shorter than the secondary yellow hose. I don’t understand why you want to keep talking semantics. If your buying a setup that is custom i.e. tech diving then ok your right.

A recreational open water setup which the majority people own and use is what is being discussed. I revert back to the OP,s post. We are not discussing tech or advanced diving which you keep trying to discuss.

Glenn

When you purchase a standard setup say from Aqualung for example. The primary black hose will be shorter than the secondary yellow hose. I don’t understand why you want to keep talking semantics. If your buying a setup that is custom i.e. tech diving then ok your right.

A recreational open water setup which the majority people own and use is what is being discussed. I revert back to the OP,s post. We are not discussing tech or advanced diving which you keep trying to discuss.

Glenn

There are a lot of misconceptions on your posts.

A "standard setup" as you call it is not suitable for primary donate. When someone says primary donate they are talking about a longer primary reg hose and a short secondary reg hose (with the reg usually on a bungee below the chin).

The idea that the setup I just described is "tech diving" is an old misconception. I am not a tech diver, nor I intend to ever be but I dive a primary donate configuration (yes, with the longer primary hose) because I consider that it is better than the standard octopus.

There is nothing tech or advanced about it. It is just a reg like any other, with hoses with different sizes.

Just out of curiosity a BPW is also tech or advanced diving? Just BCDs are acceptable for recreational diving?

P.S.: There are people that do their OW certification in a primary donate long hose configuration with BPW.

A lot of people think Long Hose is Tech... This is an incorrect belief. Remember that your Yellow Octo use to be Tech, until it was adopted by the agencies in the late 80;s early 90's. There are several agencies that do not even teach your short Octo to students, and only teach long hose.

Why is long hose not more standard? Money. All the Cheap barley breathable Octo's around the world would have to be replaced. All the hoses would have to be replaced, and on and on. Though instructors could make a lot on refresher courses.

There are a lot of misconceptions on your posts.

A "standard setup" as you call it is not suitable for primary donate. When someone says primary donate they are talking about a longer primary reg hose and a short secondary reg hose (with the reg usually on a bungee below the chin).

The idea that the setup I just described is "tech diving" is an old misconception. I am not a tech diver, nor I intend to ever be but I dive a primary donate configuration (yes, with the longer primary hose) because I consider that it is better than the standard octopus.

There is nothing tech or advanced about it. It is just a reg like any other, with hoses with different sizes.

Just out of curiosity a BPW is also tech or advanced diving? Just BCDs are acceptable for recreational diving?

P.S.: There are people that do their OW certification in a primary donate long hose configuration with BPW.

Dude it doesn’t matter. Your going way too deep on this and your setup is ok. Don’t know if you bought yours new or used, have modified it whatever. I say again, when you buy a standard open water, RECREATIONAL, setup here in the USA, from any reputable dive shop. Unless you specify differently your yellow secondary hose is going to be longer than your primary hose. I’m done arguing with you.

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom