Yellowing of silicone mask material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that this thread may have reached the end of it's lifespan two years ago, but I tried a method that actually works. I'm not a diver. I'm a researcher (but not a chemist). It appears that many of these responses are anecdotal untested opinions, not trial and error experiments. This is quite unfortunate.

It's apparently untrue that clear silicone masks will yellow solely when stored with particular materials. It seems that silicone can also yellow due to oxidation over time (as mine did, stored separately in their own cases for 20 years). I always thoroughly cleaned my goggles meticulously before storing. My goggles were REALLY yellow. Here's what I did to return my two pairs of silicone goggles to 90%+ original color:

1. Removed silicone pieces from mask (separate all parts)
2. Place in ziplock freezer bag with 3 bottles of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (Dollar Store)
3. Remove air from bag and gently boil for 1 hour
4. Allow goggles to cool in bag with hydrogen peroxide
5. Leave in bag for 1 week (left mine in tub)
6. Rinse thoroughly (I just took them in the shower)
7. Allow to dry out for another week
8. Put back in and enjoy

Hope this helps. Was thinking about hydrogen peroxide cream but the method seemed more expensive, tedious and potentially hazardous.

In short, the simple answer is YES. :thumb:

You can't disassemble a dive mask, will the chemical damage other parts?
dscf0156_cropped_2-jpg.457297.jpg

In the good old days, diving masks could be disassembled into their constituent parts while the parts themselves could be purchased separately when they needed replacing... That's progress for you. The diving mask above is at least fifty years old, remains unblemished and still has its soft, leakproof skirt. Of course, diving masks back then weren't made from clear silicone....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom