Yes .. another recommendation request.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zenshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are in the 100+ dive range and will be visiting Roatan on a cruise ship next January. The official docking times are 10AM - 7PM (sunset = 5:35PM).

So, here are our criteria for unique recommendations:

1) We prefer boats with 6 or fewer people and abhor diving with snorkelers, or on sites with 12 boats parked on the surface
2) We're not against renting the whole boat, depending on price
3) We prefer dives in the 30'-60' range that have the most sea life, and don't mind lingering over a coral head to find the worms, blennies, etc.

Our question(s) then are for a dive operator recommendation, specific reefs to request, and are there twilight dives close to the endpoint marina? I'd even appreciate places to avoid ... especially shops with large numbers of divers, snorkelers, or other ballast.

Thank you all so much.

We posted a similar request last year and ended up at Tres Pelicanos in Cozumel, rented the whole boat, got 3 dives in, and had a spectacular experience with them ... all through the scubaboard experts.

My wife and I just did a few dives in February with Barefoot Dives in Roatan (we were on a cruise as well). I wrote a review of them in the Cruise sub-forum, but when I saw this I wanted to respond. Their service was great, I did 3 dives, my wife did 2 dives. It's a small resort and they don't mix cruise guests with resort guests (IMO most cruise guests go with Anthony's Key, and the gem that is Barefoot fly's under the radar). We ended up on a private boat, with our own DM... all for $40/ dive. They are close to the cruise port, friendly, and the diving was great...
I could offer more information about them if you're interested, or just check for that other review...
I'd love to dive with them if I had the chance in the future, and I hope you enjoy the same experience as we did!

Oh, and request PEDRO as a DM... he was GREAT!

I second Barefoot for what you want. We had a very similar experience there - just my group on the boat. Not on a cruise though. It's a small upscale resort with an excellently equipped shop. The DM told us many of the Barefoot Cay guests don't even dive so they're never too crowded. I don't think there's 2 dozen villas on the Cay either which would be most of their business. Dive Tours Roatán - Ship Shore Excursions - Barefoot Divers

You do have to pay $20 for a cab over and I think that discourages some since AKR or Subway Watersports both pick up at the cruise ports.

It's really valet diving - they wouldn't even let me load my gear on the boat. The other optimal thing about them is Mary's Place - a signature Roatan dive - is 10mins. (or less) from their dock. For our 2nd dive, we rode over to Cocoview and moored out in the channel and dove the Prince Albert.

You're getting in late so the regularly scheduled morning options may not be available to you. Some days by 11 we were recovering divers on our 2nd dive by then. It makes Barefoot more attractive since they're closer to either cruise port than the other options. IDK their schedule though as we dove with them around 9AM.

I was on the dock once at AKR when the cruise diver boat (they have their own) returned from a dive(s?) - it couldn't have been much past noon. Quick stop at the gift shop then back on the shuttle bus for the ride back to the port. Quiet time of year but a dozen plus divers still got off the boat.

Another option could be Reef Gliders, their panga holds 10 and they have a 2:30 pm single tank dive. They also have a smaller boat they might set up as a private charter. You'd have to take a cab to the West End from the cruise port - it's a fixed $25 ride from Mahogany Bay. BOOK A CRUISE SHIP DIVING EXCURSION IN ROATAN

don't mind lingering over a coral head to find the worms, blennies, etc.
There's typically going to be more of that on the "shallower, sun-washed south side" (quoting Doc - a Roatan regular)

I dove out of Barefoot last week with another dive shop (weather forced us to the south side of the island). There are dive sites that fit your description very close by and it's closer to the docks than the North side. Very close to mahogany bay if that is where you are docking. There are also small dive shops in West End - a cool little village with great shops and restaurants for after your diving. Some shops may pick you up and take you back. Although, I think (and some of the more experienced divers can confirm) there is more life and variety on the south side.

Thanks! Any restaurant recommendations close by Barefoot (assuming we don't do ghe twilight dive)?

As a follow up ... we went with Barefoot. We walked out of the cruise dock area at Coxen Hole (we were NCL), and negotiated $15 for 3 people each way.

The dive shop put us on the noon and 2pm boats (it was me, my wife, and one other cruiser, plus DM and capt). Not a ton of fish, but what we saw was WELL worth it. Leopard worm, sea horse, many crabs, and the usual suspects (blennies, etc).

Barefoot is on the south side (protected) of the island, and the level of service was high. The rental BC was good, the dive sites were 5 minutes off shore, and the whole day went well.

Cheers.

Happy you like barefoot... After doing 2 weeks at AKR this past year I'd be happy to dive with either operator in the future!

Back
Top Bottom