YES!!!! new snorkel gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my Christmas snorkel gear for my scuba hawaii trip:
an Evo (thanks to the recomendations here) XXXL shortsleeve rashguard
Aeris Snorkel set:
-Europa 2 mask
-Velocity snorkeling fins
-Barracuda dry snorkel

Anyway I'm just stoked and had to tell somebody, i figured you guys were the best bet. So know that I got my stuff (gonna try it in a pool tommorow:)), is there anythink else I need to know

thanks everybody
THEBrain

Congratulations! That's how it all started for many of us. Getting a good skin-diving foundation is a surefire way to ease your entry to scuba diving if that's on you list of things to do. Otherwise it's your ticket to lots of sights and fitness.

Make sure you clean that mask before you head out for your trip. Here is a procedure to clean and test your mask. http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_mask.html#cleaning
Read on for defogging.

While your at it take these steps to avoid swimmer ear.
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_ears.html

Have a great time!

Pete

Does everybody do this, wouldn't the abrasives make a whole bunch of scratches in the mask that would make it difficult to see through like scratched glasses???
Cleaning Your Mask, New or Old The process of making and mounting the lenses in your dive mask leaves residue that promote the formation of fog in your mask. The mask needs to be properly prepared and maintained for clear vision.
What is the fog deal about anyway? Picture your mask. The outside of the lens is in relatively cool or downright cold water. Inside of the mask is the harm humid facial skin of a diver. An improperly prepared mask will allow facial moisture to condense on the glass and form droplets that we see as fog. Nothing we do can present this condensation however when the mask is well prepared the moisture will condense as a sheet of water and slowly flow to the base of your mask. The diver will not notice this flowing sheet of water.
So how do you prepare your mask/ Start by getting some toothpaste (not gel) or some Soft-Scrub cleaner. You need a product with a fine mild abrasive like these have. Also get a toothbrush (good chance for you to upgrade) and a sink with hot and cold water. Wet the inside of the mask and start scrubbing with toothpaste using the toothbrush. After a few minutes of attention rinse the mask thoroughly in warm water. Now run cold tap water into the mask and get the lenses nice and cold. Bring the mask up to your mouth and exhale some of the deepest, steamiest breaths you can muster onto the inside of the cold glass. The mask should not fog. If it does continue scrubbing the areas that formed fog. When you cannot get fog to form on chilled lenses you have a clean mask. Be sure that all residue is rinsed away when you are done.

in reply to Spectrum, This snorkel gear is just the step, I am most deff. going scuba diving, its just that Im only buying my snorkeling gear and renting my scuba gear.

Everyone does it to new masks. I've used toothpaste a lot but now I actually use a slightly more risky procedure, a lighter. Probably best to stick with the toothpaste.

another future diver, congrats

Back
Top Bottom