Yes New

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllDodge

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wife has a business trip to Cancun but I'm hearing Cozamel is better diving but don't know where to go. She is also certified but has problems clearing the ears. Suggestions?

Thanks Bob

First I thought it was me but after looking around, it seems to be quite a few folks here never get a response.

I try to respond when I can but there are a lot of threads LOL. Cozumel is beautiful. I have only been once but the trip was well worth it. Word of caution though it is a drift dive. As for the ears I dont really have any advice hopefully someone will respond soon. and welcome to the board!

I too have trouble clearing and equalizing. It takes me a long time. I warn the dive master ahead of time that I will be descending slower than the rest of the group but will stay with them only at a shallower depth until I can get down. As long as this is OK with your DM and your dive buddy stays close no one has ever objected to this. It doesn't take that long before I'm down with the group. The only caveat here is that it is drift diving and sometimes the current at a shallower depth is different than where the group is and you may have to work a little to maintain position above them. You'll love Cozumel. There's just so much color and life under water there and people are friendly on the boats and on the shore. Town is great too. Lots of good places to eat and Sunday in the plaza is well worth going to.

Forgot to address the initial question in your post about where to go. There are many good dive operations on Cozumel and a virtually unlimited range of hotel or hotel + dive package or all inclusive deals. There are even a lot of private residences you can rent. Do a search of Scubaboard and you'll get names and details for a lot of these. Believe me, it is not a place where you only have a few choices. We go on a limited budget so stay at the Hotel Barracuda and use Dive Paradise. DP is what some members here refer to as a "cattle boat" operation but it suits us fine and the prices are very reasonable. We get a package deal with hotel, 3 tanks a day and rental equipment all wrapped up in one bundle. There are far more upscale operations up to and including a private boat with a private dive master if your finances stretch that far. It's all there and it's all good. Here's a link that will help you..... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/305358-good-dive-operators.html
Have fun.

cozumel is great diving, but don't be so quick to write off the mainland. just south of cancun is playa del carmen--abyss dive shop is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom