Yes/No requirement for Med form

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
New student gives me a signed med form from doctor authorizing her to dive. Is it a PADI standard to still get Yes/No answers on the form?

Student says that she does not want to reveal her medical history to me. Not my biz.

Agreed. Not your biz.

They can say NO to everything. And you know nothing about their personal medical details.

Or you can trust their doctor. And you still know nothing about their personal medical details.

Agreed. Not your biz.

They can say NO to everything. And you know nothing about their personal medical details.

Or you can trust their doctor. And you still know nothing about their personal medical details.
@boulderjohn can provide Padi details

I accept a signed medical in replacement to the yes/no form. I'm not a doctor to question it and the details aren't my business anyway.

Haven't read anything that suggests I'm painting a liability bull's-eye on me for doing it that way.

For what it's worth,
Cameron

I appreciate the candid advice (I agree), but I'm looking for an actual PADI standard.

I don't think you'll find one. The standards only say if there is a YES answer, then a doctor's clearance is needed. There is no standard in the Manual or in 24 years of Training Bulletins that says all (or any, actually) of the questions must be answered, only that a YES answer requires a clearance. So if a student hands me a signed medical, none of the questions are relevant.

I don't think you'll find one. The standards only say if there is a YES answer, then a doctor's clearance is needed. There is no standard in the Manual or in 24 years of Training Bulletins that says all (or any, actually) of the questions must be answered, only that a YES answer requires a clearance. So if a student hands me a signed medical, none of the questions are relevant.

Glad to hear it.

My unofficial record is a candidate who showed up with 14 "yes" answers. Returned a few hours later with signed medical clearance. He dives.

I won't play doctor.
Cameron

Took me an hour to get an answer on SB. I was on the phone with PADI for over an hour listening to some of the most awful music-on-hold and having to press 1 to stay on the line every 30 seconds. Abysmal service. I wonder if they will re-announce OLPC 2 again at DEMA this year?

I do not have the expertise to answer medical questions. If the doctor says someone is good to go, I accept the doctors judgment.

Student says that she does not want to reveal her medical history to me. Not my biz.
I'm not PADI, but I would be disinclined to accept her as a student. I can't protect my student if I don't know what's happening with them. What if the doctor gave her a pass on type I diabetes? Most doctors have no clue why people on insulin shouldn't dive. Trust goes both ways. You don't have to trust me, but that means I can't trust you. Have lots of fun learning Scuba: just not from me. Again, this is not a PADI answer.

Back
Top Bottom