Yes/No requirement for Med form

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not PADI, but I would be disinclined to accept her as a student. I can't protect my student if I don't know what's happening with them. What if the doctor gave her a pass on type I diabetes? Most doctors have no clue why people on insulin shouldn't dive. Trust goes both ways. You don't have to trust me, but that means I can't trust you. Have lots of fun learning Scuba: just not from me. Again, this is not a PADI answer.

The PADI med form has a 4 page addendum for the doctor. I’m pretty sure that Insulin Dependent diabetes is mentioned. And other relevant contraindications. How personal are you prepared to get? Do you question YES answers or simply tell them to get a physician’s signature?

Does it make a difference how many YES answers are produced? Does a physician’s signature trump those?

Does it make a difference how many YES answers are produced? Does a physician’s signature trump those?
It depends on what is checked. Again, trust is a two way street. If you want me to take you into a hostile environment, then I need to know what I'm facing. I am not the right instructor for everyone and I'm OK with that.

It depends on what is checked. Again, trust is a two way street. If you want me to take you into a hostile environment, then I need to know what I'm facing. I am not the right instructor for everyone and I'm OK with that.

Fair comment. So how far do you dig? If YES to blackouts but doctor approves, do you ask more questions? Ditto for every question. When do you start playing Instructor and not Doctor?

Typically, when we get a doctor’s note, we don’t ask the student to complete the form. The physician is presumed to know best.

I guess the best answer would come from a PI attorney and not PADI.

I am not an instructor nor affiliated with PADI but this question has come up before with various answers and I remember someone quoting the first paragraph from the standard form...

Please read carefully before signing.

This is a statement in which you are informed of some potential risks involved in scuba diving and of the conduct required of you during the scuba training program. Your signature on this statement is required for you to participate in the scuba training program offered...

It would seem that the signature is a requirement and as such needs to be on record/in the students file. Its not the medical info you need but the acknowledgement that they have read and accept the risk, including the risk with omissions.

Last edited:
I am not an instructor nor affiliated with PADI but this question has come up before with various answers and I remember someone quoting the first paragraph fro the standard form...

Please read carefully before signing.

This is a statement in which you are informed of some potential risks involved in scuba diving and of the conduct required of you during the scuba training program. Your signature on this statement is required for you to participate in the scuba training program offered...

It would seem that the signature is a requirement and as such needs to be on record/in the students file.
The question in this thread was what are the PADI standards, not what the form says. Even so, there is no personal medical information in the signature, so why would it be even an issue to sign it?

Why does that signature change anything..? The signature on a student form refers to much more than the medical.

The question in this thread was what are the PADI standards, not what the form says. Even so, there is no personal medical information in the signature, so why would it be even an issue to sign it?
Is that not the form used by PADI and as such makes it part of their standards? True though that if they sign the form without completing it, it would seem to release PADI from said omissions.

The standard says the form must be submitted, and that a YES answer requires a doctor's signature. it does not say the form has to be completely filled out! It is kinda like the PADI standard is that an instructor must have a snorkel (except in certain limited circumstances), but the standard does not say it must be worn. There are enough rules to follow without making up even more (unnecessary) rules to pile on top of the mandatory ones!

True though that if they sign the form without completing it, it would seem to release PADI from said omissions.

The standard says the form must be submitted, and that a YES answer requires a doctor's signature. it does not say the form has to be completely filled out! It is kinda like the PADI standard is that an instructor must have a snorkel (except in certain limited circumstances), but the standard does not say it must be worn. There are enough rules to follow without making up even more (unnecessary) rules to pile on top of the mandatory ones!
I was agreeing with you by the strict interpretation of the wording at the bottom of the form. Sorry, I didn't quote that part from the form.

The information I have provided about my medical history is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I agree to accept responsibility for omissions regarding my failure to disclose any existing or past health condition.

I was agreeing with you by the strict interpretation of the wording at the bottom of the form. Sorry, I didn't quote that part from the form.

The information I have provided about my medical history is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I agree to accept responsibility for omissions regarding my failure to disclose any existing or past health condition.

That puts the responsibility on the student for lying or omitting info. Finis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom