Yet another "advice needed" thread :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SB’ers,

I need some advice in deciding what to buy. I’m a Canon dSLR user but unfortunately I am on a budget :(

What’s your take on the following 2 choices?
Either :
a) S90 + Canon housing
Or
b) A less expensive camera (SD1300 IS or SD1400 IS for example) + Canon Housing + Intova strobe

I really like the RAW feature of the S90 (I always use my dSLR in RAW), but would using it without a strobe make any sense? I can always add a strobe down the road when Mrs. Budget agrees to it. Let me know what you think and thanks for reading and helping me out :D

The S90 is great - good lowlight capabilities, it is a 'proper' camera even though it is so tiny. I have only had it a month, but I am loving it. Here are some pictures I took in France. The Submarine is the 'Rubis'.

I haven't had the opportunity to really play with it yet, these are just pointing and shooting with no photoshopping done at all. And all taken without a strobe. I use the Canon housing.

It is also a v good camera to take with you to parties, sight seeing etc. I now carry it as a backup to my 40D.

The S90 + Canon housing will run you close to $600.00. You can get the Intova strobe, arm, tray and fiber optic cord for just under $200.00. Is that so far out of your budget?

The S90 + Canon housing will run you close to $600.00. You can get the Intova strobe, arm, tray and fiber optic cord for just under $200.00. Is that so far out of your budget?

At the moment, yes.

Well, if you want raw (which I would agree with) and you know how to adjust white balance, the S90 makes a very underwater camera.

If you want to add some fill light, a big wide angle LED light works as well as a strobe. The big blue 170 lumen works really well, and is around $100.

It takes some major skill to hold the light in one hand and the camera in the other and take pictures, but the results can be just as good as a stobe. You get the added advantage of having a nice dive light, and you can use it for anything from macro to farther away. Is a great way to learn lighting angles.

The G11, if one is getting the canon housing, is actually pretty close in price, and it does have some advantages over the S90 (I have a G10 and 2 S90's, along with several fuji's)

S90 for sure, a camera that you wont grow out of easily and have the option of RAW at any time.

I would think that a strobe would be an almost "must have". If you get down to any depth, you are going to lose all of your red light and hence red colors. If you get down relatively deep, like at 80' and deeper, it is a blue world. The strobe is the only way to get it back. But at shallow waters, such as less than 30', existing light and white balance should do in a pinch. But even there, a strobe will make a difference. Why not go sans strobe with the S90 until you save up your money for a strobe?

Thanks for all of your input, it is very appreciated! I will get the S90 and add a strobe later on. Cheers and happy shooting! :uwphotographer:

Back
Top Bottom