Yet Another Drysuit Undergarment Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just ordered a brand new made to measure Ursuit One Endurance drysuit (yay!). It's a Trilam suit.

Now I am torn on what to do for undergarments. My previous suit was a White's Fusion Tech. Underneath it I wore a 250gm merino wool base layer with the Thermal Fusion. Sadly, this was not enough to keep me warm in 55-60 degree waters. Not sure if that was because the bag portion of my Fusion suit was the older plastic liner.

Diving will be in waters that are at coldest in the high 40s Fahrenheit up to low 70s.

Will keep my merino wool base layer but looking at these options as well:

- Keep diving the Fusion and hope that it's warmer with the trilam suit vs the plastic bag liner of the Fusion suit

- Kwark Navy suit (assuming I can find someone that ships to the USA)

- Aqualung Mk2 jumpsuit with option jacket on top

- Weezle Extreme

- Santi BZ400X

Looking to find a good mix of warmth and flexibility.

Thoughts? From those with experience using the Fusion suit and other trilams, did you notice a difference in warmth when switching from the plastic bag liner to a proper trilam?

Thanks in advance!

The AquaLung MK2 isn't very warm. I upgraded to Fourth Element Arctic.

I hear a lot of good things about the Santi.

if 250gm wool and the thermal fusion isn't enough for 55F, i would start looking at heated undergarments. no difference for me comparing fusion tech vs ursuit/dui trilam suits (the other 2 i have dived). you would need a crushed neoprene suit to see any difference probably.

if 250gm wool and the thermal fusion isn't enough for 55F, i would start looking at heated undergarments. no difference for me comparing fusion tech vs ursuit/dui trilam suits (the other 2 i have dived). you would need a crushed neoprene suit to see any difference probably.
I agree, what you are diving is a very warm combination. A heated system may be needed.

Santi BZ400 is very warm. Even in really cold waters it's one of the best you can get. Downside is it restricts mobility. That;s why I bought a Whites with Merino undergarment. However, that's not near as warm as the BZ400.

Last edited:
The tri laminate isn't going to be any 'warmer' than the whites.

BZ400 ... I've also added the heated vest and gloves for extra chilly days (or when I'm not moving much in the water ... camera/scooter dives).

I had the Whites undergarment and that was sufficient for me for a few years in 36-50F waters .... until I misplaced about 35lbs ... then I froze, even with the heated undergarments!

_R

I have the Santi BZ400X and find it comfortable in water temperatures from the low 50s to low 70s. I have not been in anything colder so can’t comment on what it would be like in the 40s.

Mine was made to measure and it doesn’t seem restrictive, although I have nothing else to compare it to.

Mine was made to measure and it doesn’t seem restrictive, although I have nothing else to compare it to.
My BZ400 makes it difficult for me to do a valve drill. Quite a specialized drill which demand quite some shoulder mobility. Otherwise no problems.

AJ:
My BZ400 makes it difficult for me to do a valve drill. Quite a specialized drill which demand quite some shoulder mobility. Otherwise no problems.

I forgot about the valve drill. I had trouble doing a singles valve drill in Fundamentals. My instructor certainly had no trouble doing it in a BZ400. Although I have never tried, I think I could reach the valves on doubles.

My suit is a little too snug to be comfortable. Combined with the thickness of the suit makes it difficult for me to do a valve drill. Others can do a valve drill easy with a BZ400. Depends on how snug the suit is I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom