Yet another ingenious UW breathing device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the scorkl pump-up diving device lets you breathe underwater for 10 minutes

If you thought Spare Air was dangerous, just check this underwater suicide device. Spare Air with a portable compressor for non-divers! Yay!

There are exceptions, of course, but I think the target audience for this thing probably wouldn't go past 12ft, which it seems like a lot of the video clips are around that depth or shallower. Then people will probably come to realize that the amount of time underwater is offset by the time it requires to get out of the water, refill, get back in the water, and get back to something interesting. Constrated against snorkeling and diving down for as long as one could hold their breath and pop back up.

Works as a product, but will likely be a failed business.

The scary part is that people are interested. While walking my dogs a few nights ago the guy across the street was talking about it. He has a 12 year old daughter. He was under the impression that it lasts for 30 minutes and is safe to use without training. I advised him otherwise.

Funding in excess of $500,000 from over 1146 contributors on Kickstarter. I'd say that David gets an A+ in marketing. The business model must be doing something right at this stage.

Funding in excess of $500,000 from over 1146 contributors on Kickstarter. I'd say that David gets an A+ in marketing. The business model must be doing something right at this stage.
Unless his disclaimers are as good as his marketing, I suspect he will take a lot more in lawsuits!

I see nothing wrong with this device and I might buy one. It should include appropriate warnings, like do not exceed 12 feet of depth.

Of course if used improperly it can cause injury or death - just like a ladder, a kitchen knife, or a bicycle. Many items can be unsafe if used improperly, but they are perfectly acceptable to own and use.

Why all the fuss over this?

Where do we start? How about an untrained individual breathing compressed air at depth and ascending without exhaling?
I would be more worried about the air quality - especially since I know very little about compressing air and it seems that enough professional tank fillers get it wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom