Yet another Saanich Inlet vis report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Shawn...

Thanks for getting the message out about my missing Whites rental light!! I'm guessing this one isn't mine... because I lost the rental at TANNER ROCK... somehow I doubt the tides carried it that far south?! But, you never know!!

if anyone comes across a light at Tanner Rock.. (south of the rock... in about 40fsw).. it most likely came from Whites on Douglas (there new town location)..

thanks..
Navy

Anyone go to Mackenzie Bight this weekend? Need a vis report

wedivebc:
Anyone go to Mackenzie Bight this weekend? Need a vis report
Well Saanich Inlet is funny sometimes. As we were getting ready to dive we spoke with 2 divers coming out of the water. They said vis was poor above 30ft but good below it. I would say vis was great above 30ft and awsome (100+) below 30ft. I don't know if the vis changed that fast or it was a perception thing but we had a great dive none the less.

wedivebc:
Well Saanich Inlet is funny sometimes. As we were getting ready to dive we spoke with 2 divers coming out of the water. They said vis was poor above 30ft but good below it. I would say vis was great above 30ft and awsome (100+) below 30ft. I don't know if the vis changed that fast or it was a perception thing but we had a great dive none the less.

As mentioned in another thread, Saturday we had amazing viz below 30'. A bit dark though due to the soup above.

Also, here is the pic of another fun encounter:
http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~sshelfor/photos/misc/dogfish.jpg

We saw a few of them. Also finally found an octopus -- though I had to go explicitely looking for it. Any dive with sharks and octopus is considered a good dive in my books.

- ChillyWaters

Fantastic viz this afternoon at Henderson Pt. Did a dive with wedivebc and the viz range between 60 to 80ft.

Haven't seen an Inlet report in a week... if people aren't diving it, I have to say that they're missing out.

Dove Setchell Point today. The sea pens are getting bigger still, with many about 6". The big thing today was the mass of jellyfish. Just the little guys, but there were THOUSANDS of them. We had to stay right on the bottom to avoid them. It was crazy... I would have never known that they swarmed to such a density.

The viz today was incredible. Too bad my camera somehow switched off, making it useless in the dive. Hmmmm... I slipped a bit upon entry which might have done it.

We looked for little red octopi, but came up empty. Nothing. I thought they would be easier to find. The wreck today was home to a large quantity of fish though. Way more than usual. We saw several large schools of perch, there were lots of rockfish of various kinds, and I think we saw a nice sized red irish lord (he was tucked away). I haven't seen such a gathering of fish in my diving yet. Quite cool!

A 50 minute dive, which was long enough in our wetsuits. I've always found Setchell to be a bit of a cooler dive.

- ChillyWaters

Thanks for the viz report Chillywaters, I will be diving the inlet tomorrow. I was thinking of Henderson, but I may try Setchell Pt instead.

Cheers

Al

Thanks Chilly for the viz report, the sea pens sound pretty cool, i've never seen one before.

My first dive in a long time was at odgen on friday. It was my first dive in victoria. Also went out to spring bay with the uvic scuba club on saturday, although it was nothing special, it was a lot of fun, a nice little dive.

though the diving was pretty good, i had my share of equipment troubles. I flooded my light cannon on Friday, and i sent my dry suit back to bare due to some chronic leaking....nothing major, but it seems to be getting worse....so hopfully i get that back soon.......anyways thats all

Cheers

TTT

Sunday 2nd October, Henderson Pt excellent viz under 30ft. I would guess in the 60' range.

Back
Top Bottom