Yet another SMB question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read all (or at least way too many) posts on SMB usage here, but have an idea that I would like to get some feedback on.

I know that SMBs can be used in a variety of ways. I'm considering a way of removing the ambiguity between a 'normal' ascent (Hey, I'm surfacing here), or an 'emergency' ascent (Hey, I'm surfacing here, AND I NEED HELP NOW).

I like the idea of the Carter SMB which has a removable dive flag at the top. Expanding on that idea, I'm thinking of writing SOS in big letters on the top portion of my SMB, then covering it with a removable flag (making sure that the letters don't show through the flag). That way on a non-emergency ascent I can surface under a dive flag, but in an emergency I can rip the flag off (exposing the SOS) before sending the SMB up.

I'm also thinking of writing some sort of 'keep your distance' message where it will always be visable.

What do you think?

If you really want a way to distinguish normal ascent and an emergency, you should have an orange SMB and a yellow one for emergencies. Just make sure whoever is on the boat knows yellow means your in the ***t.
Obviously this requires someone on the surface to know that yellow means emergency, much like having a dive flag on your smb or not, but the yellow smb is much easier to recognise as emergency, and is more likely to be known by others.

Back
Top Bottom