Yet another tank paint question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some steel 72s, and it looks like some of the paint has chipped completely in a few places (picture below). I love these tanks and was very happy to get them. If I don't care how they look, is this something I should do something about or will they be fine?

20210522_145758.jpg

That looks more like a vinyl coating than paint. Not all were galvanized under the vinyl.

Thanks. Hard to see, but looks like born in 1977 if that matters.

Thanks. Hard to see, but looks like born in 1977 if that matters.
That is vinyl over what appears to be bare steel.
Leave it bare, if the metal turns to an orange patina then its not galvanized and you need to strip all the vinyl off and use a cold galvanizing compound on them. If it stays grayish then they are fine to leave as is

and what's going to happen when the water dives in between the tank and the coating and moves in permanently

Thanks so much to everyone for the responses. From this, and looking at other threads, it looks like a slightly more complicated (and surprisingly controversial) question than I had anticipated. (I admit, I was hoping for "leave it alone" or "slap some epoxy touch up paint on it." )

I'll ask around locally -- I just can't imagine local shops make much money dealing with people's questions and problems with ancient steel tanks. I do appreciate all the help and guidance on this.

Back
Top Bottom