Yet another wing recommendation thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigWilly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Tobin,

I was going to send you a PM on this but being a veteran lurker/searcher on SB I figured someone else might benefit from my configuration question. Specifically since I'm a big guy and I haven't found many "heavy" configurations for reference. Hope you don't mind!

I've decided to get a DSS wing for single tank configuration. After reading a lot and playing around with the buoyancy calculator on the forum (btw. great tool!!) I'm inclined to think that the LCD 30 is the best choice for me. But before I order it I would like to get your expert opinion.

I'm 6'0 270lbs, heavy set, so lots of neoprene and natural buoyancy.
I dive an Apeks harness (soft, non-backplate) in mostly cold fresh water with the occassional warm salt water trip.

For cold fresh water I use :
-a one-piece 7mm wetsuit with 6.5mm hood, 6mm boots, and 5mm gloves
-single 7.25in diameter steel hp120
-about 14lb lead

For warm salt water I use:
-a one-piece 3mm wetsuit, 6mm boots
-usually, single standard al80
-can't remember the amount of lead I used the last time I was there but according to my calculations I should need about 14lb of lead

Now, according to my calculations the LCD 30 (Torus 26 might be cutting it a little close, since I might add equipment to my rig, e.g camera or lights, to my rig in the future) should be enough for my cold water diving. I would prefer to use the same wing for my warm water diving but I realize that the LCD would probably be overkill for that.

I currently dive an Apeks WTX4 wing (horseshoe shape, ~40lb lift, supposedly doubles/singles capable), which came with the harness. What I have found with this wing is that it taco's a lot and it makes it difficult to dump the air; since it is supposed to be "doubles capable" the center panel is huge and makes the overall width of the wing ~27in (I know, it is huge) leaving a lot of material floping around and wrapping around the tank.

The question is would this overkill be enough to make it difficult or cumbersome to manage the LCD30 in warm water? I realize that the optimal situation would be to get a wing for each application, but right now that is not an option for me. I am more concerned about the cold water diving since it is what I do more regularly, with the occasional once or twice a year trip to warm water. Your recommendation and insight is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
-Willy

Hi Tobin,

I was going to send you a PM on this but being a veteran lurker/searcher on SB I figured someone else might benefit from my configuration question. Specifically since I'm a big guy and I haven't found many "heavy" configurations for reference. Hope you don't mind!

I've decided to get a DSS wing for single tank configuration. After reading a lot and playing around with the buoyancy calculator on the forum (btw. great tool!!) I'm inclined to think that the LCD 30 is the best choice for me. But before I order it I would like to get your expert opinion.

I'm 6'0 270lbs, heavy set, so lots of neoprene and natural buoyancy.
I dive an Apeks harness (soft, non-backplate) in mostly cold fresh water with the occassional warm salt water trip.

For cold fresh water I use :
-a one-piece 7mm wetsuit with 6.5mm hood, 6mm boots, and 5mm gloves
-single 7.25in diameter steel hp120
-about 14lb lead

For warm salt water I use:
-a one-piece 3mm wetsuit, 6mm boots
-usually, single standard al80
-can't remember the amount of lead I used the last time I was there but according to my calculations I should need about 14lb of lead

Now, according to my calculations the LCD 30 (Torus 26 might be cutting it a little close, since I might add equipment to my rig, e.g camera or lights, to my rig in the future) should be enough for my cold water diving. I would prefer to use the same wing for my warm water diving but I realize that the LCD would probably be overkill for that.

I currently dive an Apeks WTX4 wing (horseshoe shape, ~40lb lift, supposedly doubles/singles capable), which came with the harness. What I have found with this wing is that it taco's a lot and it makes it difficult to dump the air; since it is supposed to be "doubles capable" the center panel is huge and makes the overall width of the wing ~27in (I know, it is huge) leaving a lot of material floping around and wrapping around the tank.

The question is would this overkill be enough to make it difficult or cumbersome to manage the LCD30 in warm water? I realize that the optimal situation would be to get a wing for each application, but right now that is not an option for me. I am more concerned about the cold water diving since it is what I do more regularly, with the occasional once or twice a year trip to warm water. Your recommendation and insight is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
-Willy

Willy,

BC's, including wings, only need to compensate for things that change in buoyancy with respect to depth.

Your personal buoyancy will impact your total weighting, but it doesn't change with depth.

Your wetsuit does. Wings have to be sized for the most buoyant suit, for you that's the 7mm suit.

Assuming you are using a faber 120 that's ~-7 lbs empty you are currently using about 23 lbs of total ballast, 7 for the empty tank, 2 for your reg and 14 lbs of lead.

If we assume that you are bit positive say 3 lbs then your 7mm suit is about +20.

A large SS plate and harness is about -7, a full HP100 is about - 17 and your reg is -2 for a total of 26 lbs. with a full tank, and about 16 with an empty tank. You will need ~4-6 lbs in a belt. That makes a T-26 too small.

I'd recommend a LCD 30.

For warm water you will still benefit from the ballast the SS plate provides. You could use a much smaller wing, as the 3mm suit is much less buoyant, but the 30 will work.

Recap:

Large SS Plate
LCD 30
Hogarthian Harness

Tobin

Thanks Tobin!!

That confirms what I had come up with as far as numbers. Appreciate your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom