YMCA certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the process of doing a crossover to Y for instructor rating. I can't see anything about the basic course I don't like. At least the way this instructor teaches it.

Oh and Walter you know how many agencies do deco procedures don't you :)

My YMCA OW and AOW cards have always been accepted in Grand Cayman, Cozumel and St. Thomas. I carry a CMAS card as a back up. I was at Ginnie Springs last year and was told they rarely see a Y card but they were obviously familiar with the cert, I've got a great Y instructor. I'm starting my SLAM Rescue course this spring an am confident the training is at least on par with any other agency. I may have to switch to PADI to go on to divemaster due to the limitations of our local Y program but I'd sure like to see Y Scuba grow.

Interesting you mention Ginnie Springs as me and my sons are going over Easter weekend for the first time. What's it like?

Mike

Interesting you mention Ginnie Springs as me and my sons are going over Easter weekend for the first time. What's it like?

Mike
Beautiful.

Disclaimer!
I'm just stating this, not endorsing it or condoning it.

Ginnie's grand balroom is a cavern dive that they allow open water divers to go into. It's one of the nicest caverns around that area. Feel free to IM or PM me for any information you want about the area, food, lodging, etc....I grew up in high springs.

My YMCA OW and AOW cards have always been accepted in Grand Cayman, Cozumel and St. Thomas. I carry a CMAS card as a back up. I was at Ginnie Springs last year and was told they rarely see a Y card but they were obviously familiar with the cert, I've got a great Y instructor. I'm starting my SLAM Rescue course this spring an am confident the training is at least on par with any other agency. I may have to switch to PADI to go on to divemaster due to the limitations of our local Y program but I'd sure like to see Y Scuba grow.

Springfield Ohio is not that far from me. Pa currently has 10 YMCA instructors listed on it's web site. In May there will be at least two or three more. Myself, one possibly two more from our shop, and there are some others coming for theirs when we do ours in Pittsburgh. Not sure where they are from.

While a small program it's a good one. I'm doing the crossover from PADI to YMCA AI and then instructor in May. Why? Because of the higher standards, philosophy, and skills required. You need to be able to swim before you can start training. 200 yds and a 10 minute tread. 300 and 15 to complete the program. Swimming not snorkeling. We normally do 6-7 pool sessions. No mask swim while sharing air, ditch and don-all gear off, up to surface then dive and put everything back on-mask, fins,bc,weights etc., scuba bailout, skin diving skills like dropping mask and snorkel then retrieve and clear it underwater- have snorkle breathable upon surfacing. also does PADI require bringing a unconscious diver from depth? No. YMCA does. We also have a little exercise where we all switch scuba units underwater with each other. Don't think anybody else does this at OW level. As was already stated instructor has alot of latitude as to what can be added to the course as long as standards are met. My IT has even required students who may be a little shaky in his opinion to complete more ow dives before issuing the card.

It is the oldest national certification agency in the US. LA county was the first but local formal agency. Y was second and the first national. Also it's a non-profit driven agency. That's why the ow student manual can be found on amazon for 15 bucks. My instructor materials were 92.50 including shipping. All of them. That's 20 bucks lees than my PADI Instructor manual alone even at the level three pricing that I got it at. No flash- all substance. ANd the emphasis is on the student and safety. Not the dollar.

Here's the website for this class. Basic

It is 5 pool sessions, 5 lecture sessions, 10 days over 5 weeks. Then 2 days of OW diving on May 17-18, for 5 ow dives.

How well accepted is the Y c-card in the Caribean?

Mike

Very well accepted. I've dived all over the world and have never shown anything other than a Y card.

Back
Top Bottom