YMCA or SSI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently taking my open water class. It's being given at a YMCA, but we are using SSI materials. At the end if I pass, I can choose to get my cert from SSI or YMCA. Is there any difference and/or benefit to either one over the other?

Why wouldn't you be able to pay for and receive both cards? I had a similar situation in 1970 when I learned.

Some things never change, huh?

Not really, if it is the same instructor it'll most likely be the same course.

Which card looks nicer in your view?

I don't care about the look, I'm just wondering for future training etc, is there any difference between having either of these. Like say if I wanted to take future classes through a different organization, etc. I guess I could pay and get both, but it seems pointless.

caroln:
I don't care about the look, I'm just wondering for future training etc, is there any difference between having either of these. Like say if I wanted to take future classes through a different organization, etc. I guess I could pay and get both, but it seems pointless.

Get both, throew one in your wallet and the other somewhere safe (saves the hassle of getting a replacement card if you lose one)

Going ahead either one is equally good and not something to worry about.

Best,

Chris

You can get future certifications with any agency regardless of which one you choose now. I personally prefer YMCA.

If you get both cards, you won't have to pay for 2 courses. You'll just have to pay the small extra amount for the agency fee for the 2nd agency. I'm guessing that this is about $35 to $50 bucks extra (but just a guess)

Walter:
You can get future certifications with any agency regardless of which one you choose now. I personally prefer YMCA.

And I had my money on you saying PADI........:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom