YMCA or SSI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSI and YMCA, the ONLY two agencies I don't teach for, why am I in this thread?

Banning myself NOW

mike_s:
If you get both cards, you won't have to pay for 2 courses. You'll just have to pay the small extra amount for the agency fee for the 2nd agency. I'm guessing that this is about $35 to $50 bucks extra (but just a guess)

The Y card runs $15. The CMAS card you can get with it is around $25 (not sure of the exact cost).

cerich:
SSI and YMCA, the ONLY two agencies I don't teach for, why am I in this thread?

Banning myself NOW

I can hook you up for a Y crossover.

I took YMCA OW, and got both a YMCA card and a CMAS card. Interestingly, I'm now taking SSI AOW courses, so I'll end up with all three. It's nice to have more than one C-card -- keep one in your wallet and one with your logbook. I also like having the YMCA card, just because it's a good conversation starter for the dive shop newbies that have never seen one before.

caroln:
I don't care about the look, I'm just wondering for future training etc, is there any difference between having either of these. Like say if I wanted to take future classes through a different organization, etc. I guess I could pay and get both, but it seems pointless.
It makes no difference which card you get ... you can take further training from any agency with either of those two cards.

Getting them both is pointless ... all you'll be doing is paying extra for the second card.

FWIW - I did OW, AOW, and SLAM with the YMCA ... and went on to get additional training from several other agencies. I'm currently a NAUI instructor. At no point along the way did the agency who did my prior certifications ever become an issue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree, don't bother getting both cards. I'm NAUI OW, IANTD AOW, and signed up for YMCA SLAM. No one ever cared what my previous certs were from, and if someone said I'd need to pay some fee to "switch" (unless I was doing DM/instructor training or something) before taking a class, I'd tell them to take a hike & take my business elsewhere.

Jim

only disadvantage I have had with my YMCA card was when I was in Jamaica they didn't recognize it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom