Yoga and Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radio flyer

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced the benefits of yoga for scuba? dynamic breath control, controlled inner state of mind, relaxed concentration, toned muscle groups, flexibility, etc.?

I'd be interested to hear about how yoga helps your scuba (or vice-versa)...

radio flyer:
Has anyone else experienced the benefits of yoga for scuba? dynamic breath control, controlled inner state of mind, relaxed concentration, toned muscle groups, flexibility, etc.?

I'd be interested to hear about how yoga helps your scuba (or vice-versa)...
I incorporate Yoga breathing exercises into my freedive training. However, I do not do any of the postures or stances. The breathing exercises have helped me immensely in my freediving achievments and this, in turn, has benefitted my scuba. I would strongly suggest doing a bit of research into Pranayama. Nothing mystical about it, just good, old-fashioned breath training.:wink:

Freediver,

Do you do Pranayama exercises every day?

radio flyer:
Freediver,

Do you do Pranayama exercises every day?
Yes, I do the exercises everyday. I also start my day by ensuring that I am breathing correctly. Look into "diaphragmatic breathing" and if you aren't breathing this way, this is where to start.

I practice yoga. I practice the poses, meditation and breathing. They are all related. It seems to have improved my diving, both in terms of air usage and physical stamina.

I notice that when I'm underwater, something in my yoga practice takes over my body and mind. In yoga, it only feels right when the breath wraps around and guides the pose (rather than the other way round). I notice the same thing in scuba--managing the breath is guiding the mind; I feel tuned in to slight variations in bouyancy based on my breathing; and as soon as I begin to feel agitated by something or other, the first thing that I really notice is that my breathing is off. I slow down, concentrate on my breathing, and methodically adjust whatever needs to be adjusted. Same thing with the body--the slightest adjustment can yield maximum benefit to the task of the moment. I've become much more conscious of my body--its center of gravity, its "edge", etc. And, once in a while, when the alterity of the underwater environment is super extraordinarily beautiful and complex, I find myself meditatively lost in it--no thoughts, just self experiencing the extraordinary.

I'm new to diving (less than 50 dives), but apart from the technical aspects of diving, for some reason, it seems that yoga has really helped my learning curve. I make mistakes, of course, and try to learn from them; but, I feel tuned into them, if that makes sense?

Am I crazy for making this connection?

radio flyer:
I notice that when I'm underwater, something in my yoga practice takes over my body and mind. In yoga, it only feels right when the breath wraps around and guides the pose (rather than the other way round). I notice the same thing in scuba--managing the breath is guiding the mind; I feel tuned in to slight variations in bouyancy based on my breathing; and as soon as I begin to feel agitated by something or other, the first thing that I really notice is that my breathing is off. I slow down, concentrate on my breathing, and methodically adjust whatever needs to be adjusted. Same thing with the body--the slightest adjustment can yield maximum benefit to the task of the moment. I've become much more conscious of my body--its center of gravity, its "edge", etc. And, once in a while, when the alterity of the underwater environment is super extraordinarily beautiful and complex, I find myself meditatively lost in it--no thoughts, just self experiencing the extraordinary.
fghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhh sorry, I became hypnotized and fell asleep and then fell forward on my keyboard. Wow, I feel very relaxed now....but my head hurts.:D
I'm new to diving (less than 50 dives), but apart from the technical aspects of diving, for some reason, it seems that yoga has really helped my learning curve. I make mistakes, of course, and try to learn from them; but, I feel tuned into them, if that makes sense?

Am I crazy for making this connection?
Yes, you are crazy but welcome aboard anyway!:D Yes, it is truly a great feeling when you are "in-tune" with your breathing underwater.

Back
Top Bottom