Yoke Failures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any evidence that would cause me to be concerned about using older yoke regulators on 3442 psi HP steel tanks?

I have a bunch of old Oceanic Omega II regulators as well as some new yoke regs (Edge Epic, AquaLung Titan, Oceanic Delta4/FDX10 that I am using with HP 100s. Is there any reason to be concerned about the higher pressure?

I also have a couple of Dive Rite Hurricane regs with DIN fittings. However, I use a yoke adapter because it hasn't been worth the effort to use the DIN connection even though the tank valves will support the connection.

Richard

Richard,

Most yokes are stamped with the working pressure. You could probably get away with 100-200 psi over that before you had any problems. Usually, the first thing that happens is the yoke stretches a bit and you get a leak at the regulator to tank valve o-ring-I've seen that happen. Next could be a blown o-ring (I have not seen that happen). I read a post or two here that actually stated the yoke gave way and shot a piece of metal across the room denting the wall, etc....I have not seen that happen, however I have no reason to doubt it.

Please proceed with caution.

couv

If it is a heavy yoke with a 9/16" diameter yoke screw, it will probably be hefty enough to handle 3442 psi prressures. If it has a smaller diameter yoke screw I don't even recommend using them on 3000 psi tanks, even if they are stamped 3000 psi.

Even my brand new Delta 4/FDX 10 only has a 1/2" yoke screw. The yoke is clearly marked 3500 psi and the User's Guide (which covers all Oceanic Regs including the Omega II) says they are all rated for 3500 psi.

HOWEVER, that yoke is probably more recent than the ones I have on my older Omega IIs because, upon more careful examination, they are clearly marked for 3000 psi. They have 1/2' yoke screws.

I image it would be easy to get a DIN fitting for the FDX 10 and both of the Hurricanes already have DIN. So, change the 6 tank valves (remove the insert) and be done with it.

Then I need a new 1st stage for the Omega IIs. It should be a diaphragm type (cold water) with a DIN connection. Maybe I could buy an FDX 10 with a DIN fitting.

Richard

I have used mine with 3,500 psi with no issues. I also have two DIN kits for my MKV clones.

DSCF0008.jpg

Of course I have used several of my double hose with 3,500 psi as well with no issue. One I have an extra heavy yoke for, the others are PRAMs. The standard yokes would of course not be sufficient for 3,500 psi IMO.

DSCF0146.jpg

N

I talked to Bryan (VDH) about this and we came up with the following: use the Mistral at 2500 psi or less ( I will be using this reg with a LP 72), use the RAM at 3000 psi or less (my grandson will use this reg with either a single Al 50 or Al 50 doubles (in a couple of years)) and use the PRAM at 3500 (I will be using this one as my main DH reg).

I ust talked to my LDS and they can convert all of my Omega IIs and the FDX10 to DIN. That way, all of the single hose regs that would be used with the HP100s will be compatible. That project will start tomorrow.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom