yoke to din converter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pensacolascott

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use a yoke-to-din converter? Is it safe with the added pressure. I really want to buy a HP steel tank but would rather not change out my yoke 1st stage.

Thanks.

Scott

Hay Scott,

Great name by the way.

I switched to steel HP tanks a few years ago and had to convert all my regs to DIN. Most of the DIN adapters that I've seen are easy to remove and install which makes switching back to a yoke easy. Just carry the proper tools in a dry box along with the yoke you removed from the reg and if you ever need to make the switch you can do it on the spot.

If you don't want to be switching adapters all the time then you can buy a DIN to Yoke adapter that the DIN first stage screws into and you can then use the reg on a standard valve.

Take a look at the pictures on this ebay auction if you've never seen one of these before and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Din to Yoke adapter

Scott

Listen to Padipro, here's why:
There are 2 types of din to yoke converters, one is an insert that screws into the head of the DIN valve, these are intentionally made to NOT WORK on the HP (300 bar)valves so you can't slap the weaker yoke onto a HP source. They will work fine on the LP (200 bar) valves.
The other converter is a fill post, not intended for diving. You can run the risk of possibly wrecking your reg, or messing up your shorts (or various body parts) if the critter flies apart.

Why are you opposed to switching your 1st stage from yoke to DIN? The DIN setup is far more secure than the yoke setup.
When it comes to tanks, i prefer LP tanks, they are easier to fill and you get more air for a certain overfill compared to a HP tank.

Note: i am not advocating overfilling tanks but it is a common practice.

This will certainly show my ignorance.....I don't even know the difference between the LP's/HP's, I just assumed that the steel tanks were HP's and I still wanted to easily resort back to an aluminum tank with a yoke fitting if necessary.

You can use DIN fittings on any type of tank. You can't use yoke on HP's, but that's pretty much it. IMHO, it's far easier(safer?) to put a yoke adapter on a DIN first stage than the other way around.

I'll second sheck33. Spend your money on a DIN first stage and get an LP.

My $.02.

pensacolascott once bubbled...
This will certainly show my ignorance.....I don't even know the difference between the LP's/HP's, I just assumed that the steel tanks were HP's and I still wanted to easily resort back to an aluminum tank with a yoke fitting if necessary.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Steel tanks come in both LP and HP types. LP tanks are much bigger and heavier then either HP steel or aluminum tanks but they do have their advantages in certain situations. HP tanks are not much bigger then aluminum tanks. ig. A HP steel 100cuft tank is about the same size as an AL 80.

As Amaud said, you can have a DIN valve on any type of tank, LP or HP, steel or aluminum, but you'll only find a DIN valve on HP tanks because of the high pressure.

IMHO, unless you're going to be getting into cave or Tri Mix diving go with the HP tanks. About the only advantages of a LP tank are, 1. some shops will over fill a LP tank to 3000 PSI giving the user a little more gas, which cavers always seem want but a HP tank already has the extra gas at a much smaller size and weight. And 2. When using Tri Mix it's easier to blend the gas at lower pressures then it is at pressures over 3000 PSI.

I have a buddy that dives LP 95's, his tanks are huge, bulky and heavy, they won't fit in the tank racks of most dive boats, at least here in South Florida and you wouldn't want to do a shore dive where you'd have to walk any distance carrying one of them. On the other hand my HP's have about the same amount of gas as his when his are filled to 2640 PSI, which is all most shops down here will fill them to anyway, they're lighter, smaller in size and will fit in the tank racks on most boats. Some people will tell you that low pressure tanks put less stress on your valve and reg because of the lower working pressure and then tell you that they over fill their LP's to 3000 PSI. Doesn't seem to be much logic in that if you ask me.

Just my $.02

Scott

Hay Scott,

Great name by the way.

I switched to steel HP tanks a few years ago and had to convert all my regs to DIN. Most of the DIN adapters that I've seen are easy to remove and install which makes switching back to a yoke easy. Just carry the proper tools in a dry box along with the yoke you removed from the reg and if you ever need to make the switch you can do it on the spot.

If you don't want to be switching adapters all the time then you can buy a DIN to Yoke adapter that the DIN first stage screws into and you can then use the reg on a standard valve.

Take a look at the pictures on this ebay auction if you've never seen one of these before and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Din to Yoke adapter

Scott
Do you have to lube any parts on the DIN adapter before putting it on reg? Thanks

My recommendation is to buy the native din and native yoke parts for your reg and have the correct one installed prior to the trip. If you are diving mixed tanks then put the native DIN on and us a DIN adaptor. You don't lube anything on a DIN adaptor

3442 psi steel tanks are fine with 232 BAR DIN as well as yoke stages, hence the "slugs" in the pro-valves to allow you to use them with a yoke stage..... If you are using 3442 psi tanks, there is no reason for them to have 300 BAR DIN valves....

For $40 you can put a DGX 232 BAR Pro-Valve on that tank, and use either Yoke or DIN.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom