Yoke to DIN inserts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to get some insight into whether the 200 bar DIN tank the "standard" rental tank in the Middle East. We will be doing some traveling in Egypt and Oman, and plan to dive a couple of days in Hurghada and Oman, but am planning to bring my own gear, especially regs/computer. My SP regs are yoke, and I know there are 200 bar DIN inserts available that I can put on a DIN tank so I can use my own regs, but the inserts only work on 200 bar DIN tanks. I would also assume the dive ops have the inserts, but would feel more comfortable if I have a few spares of my own. Recommendations? Thank you.

Last edited:
You mean Din to Yoke so you can use a yoke reg on a DIN tank? I can't answer your question but if you want to be sure, get both. 300 BAR DIN Insert | AP Diving for example. Alternatively, you could by the yoke to din conversion for your regulator. That's what I did. It's surprisingly simple to swap the regulator to one or the other. I'm not a regulator tech, just a regular diver - it really is that easy.

No, I mean Yoke-to-DIN, which is the correct term for putting a yoke first stage on a DIN valve tank. From what I understand, and that certainly could be wrong, is the 300 bar DIN adapter does not fit properly on a 200 DIN tank, and there also is an issue with the certified ability of the yoke reg to handle the HP of a 300 bar DIN tank. I just want to make sure I am getting the correct insert if the standard rental tank is 200 bar DIN.

I guess I call it Din to Yoke because the adapters I'm familiar with go on the tank, not the regulator. Either way, I think we're talking about the same thing. I believe the proper term is really DIN Insert.

I believe technically yoke regulators are not rated for HP. That doesn't mean you won't stumble across a tank that really isn't HP with a 300 bar HP valve, but it would be a waste of money to build such a critter. In which case you'd need that oddball insert I linked above.

Here's a thread that will shed some light.

It's also worth noting that you cannot use the inserts on some tanks. On some DIN tanks the neck is too wide to fit inside the yoke neck so the insert will be irrelevant. If you encounter those, AFAIK the only solution is a different reg or the conversion kit I mentioned previously.

@kelemvor Yes DIN inserts are what I am asking about.

It is a far more common affair to use the adapter to allow a DIN first to attach to a yolk valve. I have all DIN regs and carry the adapter when I travel. I also carry the Hex wrench needed to remove the adapter plug contained in Pro valves. This way you are assured of being able to use your 300bar DIN first on any tank valve.

Luckily, the places I will have an opportunity to dive in Egypt and Oman use the 200 bar DIN tanks. I don't want to convert my two reg sets to DIN when I am going to have very limited need to use a DIN tank in the future. This will be the first time I have even had to think about DIN, and this is likely going to be my only diving opportunity in Egypt and Oman.

@kelemvor Yes DIN inserts are what I am asking about.
The place that provides the tank hire should have the yoke inserts, or in the first place have tanks with native yoke valves.

Most of the DIN valved cylinders will have the valve type designed to take the insert, to convert them back to A clamp (Yoke). There will also generally be A clamp cylinders available.

As a recommendation, I would recommend you buy an insert and take it with you. These are often lost, or if you are on a boat with a lot of A clamp use there may be a shortage. An insert isn't expensive, or heavy, just easy to loose :). If you are using your own - keep track of it!

I use DIN, but will generally take a DIN to A clamp adapter just in case.

As a general point most of the cylinders are normally aluminium 232 bar cylinders. It would be exceptional to see a 300 bar cylinder, if available, it would be a special request (extra cost).

Also - you want the 232 bar insert, NOT the 300 bar variant.

Most new cylinders in the UK (Europe) are now DIN valve with an insert. But because there is a lot off DIN valve use, the inserts are often lost. Because the Red Sea tends to cater for European divers, boats generally use the DIN valve with an insert on their cylinders.

Gareth

Note in the the UK we call Yoke fitting A Clamp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom