Yoke vs. DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a photo of the DIN VALVE with an Inlet

The inlet can be removed or placed in with an allen key. The majority of tank have this option. Where rented!

Din with Yoke inlet.jpg

This is a photo of a YOKE VALVE Yoke Valve.jpg

In this photo if you look close up you'll notice that there isn't an inlet. No allen key imprint!

For the recreational dive and none tec the preferred option is the Din Valve. It's simply most common.

Ask your instructor to show you materials that cover this aspect in more depth. Or do some research in google. It's interesting if your interested in the subject.

Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Yoke and Din Valve.jpg
    Yoke and Din Valve.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 562
Grab the DIN regs. I just moved to Germany from the US, and while most of the dive shops do use the 200bar DIN that accept the inserts, smaller clubs and private parties often have 300bar DIN. You cannot use a yoke insert on a 300bar DIN because the valve is too large for the yoke to fit around it.

DIN is certainly a much more secure system... But, as everyone else says, yoke is much more common.

All of my cylinders and regulators are DIN. When I travel, I take a DIN-to-yoke adapter. Yes, I am always bumping the back of my head on the 1st stage as a result.

Finally I bought a yoke first stage to take with me when traveling. I was getting tired of always bumping the back of my head.

I very recently completed the pool part of my training, and I can't wait to take my 4 Open Water Dives on July 16-17.

I've mentioned this in another discussion but it might have been a little to off topic so here goes.
Our instructor was explaining to us the difference between Yoke and DIN first stages and how you can go from DIN to Yoke using a converter, but if you have a Yoke first stage and you have a DIN tank...well that sucks. I thought there must be a price difference but they are about the same. I am from Germany which invented the DIN, and I heard its all over Europe and Asia is 50-50 with both systems.

Then my question is, why not get DIN + the converter if you can get use any tank rather than Yoke in which case you can only use Yoke tanks. (Also I heard that DIN can withstand higher pressures and the O-ring is more protected).

Please correct me is this logic is to simple minded or if there is more to it, but if this is the case then I would surely get a DIN reg. That said I am "about as newbie as you can be" and am free to any feedback

Cheers

Hi MnDiv. Think of things from a shop owner's perspective.

There are four possibilities:

1. I have DIN valve, customer has DIN regulators.
  2. I have Yoke valve, customer has Yoke regulators.
  3. I have Yoke valve, customer has DIN regulators.
  4. I have DIN valve, customer has Yoke regulators.

For option #1, everything works. No issues.
For option #2, everything works. No issues.
For option #3, customer can use an adapter. No issues.
For option #4, customer cannot use my tanks. I lose a customer.

So there is a 50% chance of problem if I have DIN valves. Just makes good business sense to buy Yoke valves.

As someone else pointed out, there are convertible valves. If I was buying new tanks, I'd get the convertible valves. Any established shop is going to have tanks which predated the convertible valves. So you will see mostly Yoke valve tanks.

I dive mostly DIN but have no problem with my DIN-to-yoke adapter if I need to use it. Yes, it does cause the first stage to stick out a bit further, but I rarely see that as an impediment. In all the years of diving DIN, I don't remember a single case where my o-ring was a problem (I've had the same one in my current reg for years)... can't say that for a yoke reg. Yes, it is generally much easier to find yoke-based tanks here in the States and in Asia where I do most of my travel but that's why I have the adapter.

I dive mostly DIN but have no problem with my DIN-to-yoke adapter if I need to use it. Yes, it does cause the first stage to stick out a bit further, but I rarely see that as an impediment. In all the years of diving DIN, I don't remember a single case where my o-ring was a problem (I've had the same one in my current reg for years)... can't say that for a yoke reg. Yes, it is generally much easier to find yoke-based tanks here in the States and in Asia where I do most of my travel but that's why I have the adapter.
Exactly my response as well.

I have never been to a place where I cannot rent Yoke tanks. But 90% of the dive shop I have visited don't have DIN tank for rent.

Then you have been to very few dive shops.

If you have a DIN reg and will be using rental tank. You reg will have the adaptor attached 99% of the time.

That's not true at all either.

It's more about what your individual diving needs are. If you dive in Europe you will most likely encounter DIN more often. Here in the US yoke is standard and it is unusual to find DIN on rentals.

The DIN connections however are more for high pressure steel tanks. These require the more secure DIN valves. Low pressure steel tanks can accomodate yoke valves and aluminum rental tanks are just about exclusively yoke.

If you are planning on purchasing a high pressure steel tank in the future for local diving then it would be wise to go DIN. If you plan on diving mostly on vacation the pick the connection you will most likely encounter.

In Asia, from Maldives right across to Truk, A-clamp(yoke) is the standard.
Same as Australia.
If you trun up with a DIN reg then you are more than likely have to hire a reg.
Some of the shops can provide an adaptor as well as suitable tank but do not count on it.
However, most if not all of the twin sets are DIN.

To me its simple. if you dive local and have your own gear then--do what ya feel good with. If you use rental tanks then most likely you need it to be yoke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom