Yonaguni Monument Podcast Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is a very strange and unusual podcast this week. I interviewed Dr. Robert Schoch from Boston University. He was involved in a History Channel Special on the Yonaguni Underwater Monument. Some say that this immense structure, 80 feet underwater, is artificially made and sculpted. Dr. Schoch comes down on that it is naturally formed.

Regardless, if you are looking for an exotic dive site to video, you may want to check out the Underwater Videographer podcast.

By the way, unless I am mistaken, History Channel ran the special last week.

Also, by the way, not sure about the copyright laws on this, but the video is up on Google Video at

Ancient Marvels Mysterious Pyramids

This is a very strange and unusual podcast this week. I interviewed Dr. Robert Schoch from Boston University. He was involved in a History Channel Special on the Yonaguni Underwater Monument. Some say that this immense structure, 80 feet underwater, is artificially made and sculpted. Dr. Schoch comes down on that it is naturally formed.

Regardless, if you are looking for an exotic dive site to video, you may want to check out the Underwater Videographer podcast.

By the way, unless I am mistaken, History Channel ran the special last week.

Also, by the way, not sure about the copyright laws on this, but the video is up on Google Video at

Ancient Marvels Mysterious Pyramids
We took a group to Yonaguni in 2002 and it was really cool....Natural ? Not sure...it sure looks man made but I am no scientest. The angles are almost perfect and the top of the monument starts at 20 feet deep and continues down to about 80. The current along the face is strong and the dives can be physical. The rocks around the other dive sites on this island look natural and not at all manmade. The monument is worth a look. Also check out either Kerama Island or Ishigaki. Kerama had very healthy reef and sealife. The people of Okinawa are very hospitible but they don't speak much english. So brush up on your Japanese.

Have friends who've dove/shot video and were involved with THC project. See toriitraining.com. Doubt the formations are natural--the rock is cut without a doubt. Currents are brutal and hammerheads congregate there. Lived on Okinawa for 8 years and it has some of the best diving--right off the shore--anywhere in the world. Plenty of dive shops have Yanks working there. Best bet is to get hooked up with a knowledgeable GI at one of the popular dive sites (Sunabe or Maeda Point) and they can set you up. Bottom line: for all the diving that gets done there, it's a well kept secret.
Rick

There are some SB'ers who sometimes dive yonaguni, you'll find them hanging out in the Zen Diver sub-forum here on SB. I think Doug in okinawa regularly takes charters out there if you're interested.

I might go check it out next year if I can swing it as its only 2-3ish hours by plane from Tokyo.

Thanks marshallkarp for posting those links.

I saw one special where they pushed beyond the normal dive areas and found a huge face carved in the rock face, definately man made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom