You are PADI Certified and now what.....and if you live in the center of USA ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am here in Colorado with you, namerg. 1st off, enjoy the Blue Hole: warm, clear, calm water. My wife and I used to take three to four dedicated dive trips per year to warm salt water destinations, now it is one or two. I get a lot of local diving in, and it is sometimes good, sometimes not as good, but all very good training. Aurora Reservoir east of town has decent visibility in Spring, early summer and fall. Go during the week when there aren't classes training there for the best visibility. They also have a dedicated scuba beach, a sunken plane, and some fish to see. If you are lucky, that may include catfish in the 30 to 40 pound range, and some good size walleye and bass. By mid-June water temperatures get up to the mid 60's and stay there through Mid September, but visibility, especially on weekends when there are more people there, suffers.You will want a 5 mil wet suit at a minimum; most people use a 7 mil, or a dry suit. I am comfortable in a 5 mil with hooded vest. The dive area depths range from 25 to 60 feet, deeper water being colder, and there is a nice beach, covered pavillions, and changing rooms. Other area diving is in colder and less clear water (Chatfield Reservoir, eg). If you don't mind driving about 2 hours south to Pueblo Reservoir, it will offer conditions similar to Aurora Reservoir, but no sunken plane. Private message me sometime if you want more information, or just google "Aurora Reservoir." As to dive trips, the many local dive shops all sponsor them, but I plan our dive trips. My suggestion for destinations for new divers that don't cost a fortune: 1) Key Largo; 2) Cozumel, 3) Akumal Mx. 4) Roatan. There are more- these offer easy diving at a reasonable cost for air, accommodations, and diving. Now get active and go diving!
DivemasterDennis

I am here in Colorado with you, namerg. 1st off, enjoy the Blue Hole: warm, clear, calm water. My wife and I used to take three to four dedicated dive trips per year to warm salt water destinations, now it is one or two. I get a lot of local diving in, and it is sometimes good, sometimes not as good, but all very good training. Aurora Reservoir east of town has decent visibility in Spring, early summer and fall. Go during the week when there aren't classes training there for the best visibility. They also have a dedicated scuba beach, a sunken plane, and some fish to see. If you are lucky, that may include catfish in the 30 to 40 pound range, and some good size walleye and bass. By mid-June water temperatures get up to the mid 60's and stay there through Mid September, but visibility, especially on weekends when there are more people there, suffers.You will want a 5 mil wet suit at a minimum; most people use a 7 mil, or a dry suit. I am comfortable in a 5 mil with hooded vest. The dive area depths range from 25 to 60 feet, deeper water being colder, and there is a nice beach, covered pavillions, and changing rooms. Other area diving is in colder and less clear water (Chatfield Reservoir, eg). If you don't mind driving about 2 hours south to Pueblo Reservoir, it will offer conditions similar to Aurora Reservoir, but no sunken plane. Private message me sometime if you want more information, or just google "Aurora Reservoir." As to dive trips, the many local dive shops all sponsor them, but I plan our dive trips. My suggestion for destinations for new divers that don't cost a fortune: 1) Key Largo; 2) Cozumel, 3) Akumal Mx. 4) Roatan. There are more- these offer easy diving at a reasonable cost for air, accommodations, and diving. Now get active and go diving!
DivemasterDennis
Wow...thank you so much. This site has been very helpful to me as a newbie on the underwater world. I am going to get my certification a the Homestead Crater in Utah on the Weekend on March 13/2015. I think i have two buddies (BoulderJohn and now yourself) whom can give some tips and hopefully dive together so i can polish my skills so i can build confidence and dive into the ocean. Thank you so much for the info. I think I might get the 7mil wet suit.. I am tropical, Colombian here in the Rockies :) For sure I will send you an inbox once i get certified. Question will the 7mil wetsuit is suitable for Cozumel-MX and even Cartagena-Col where temperatures ranges from 80-90F ? or i might need a shorty. ? Thanks for your help.

Concur with the others from Colorado. We also like Key Largo -- it is easy to get to. Also, search for Homestead scuba on YouTube if you want to get an idea of what it looks like -- lots of great vids. The vis is not great but a lot of fun esp during a snow storm when you are in 92 F degree water. When you can, try Bonaire.

While you're in South Florida, don't forget your Keys. :D :D :D

Seriously shallow diving with legions of fish. There are deep dives here as well, but for a beginner, the shallow dives are awesome and allow you to build up to the deeper stuff.

Question will the 7mil wetsuit is suitable for Cozumel-MX and even Cartagena-Col where temperatures ranges from 80-90F ? or i might need a shorty. ? Thanks for your help.

My understanding is that a 7mm suit would be way overkill for 80 degree water. I'm heading for the Cozumel area tomorrow and I'll be diving in a 3/2mm suit, and taking a Lavacore sleeveless full suit to wear underneath just in case. But, I highly doubt I'll need it for the reef dives.

Personally, I would not choose a shorty because I want a full suit to insure protection from jellyfish stings, accidental scrapes, etc..

---------- Post added December 16th, 2014 at 01:31 PM ----------

ps. If you're looking for a warm water (78F or so, and up) wetsuit, I recently posted a thread with a review of 4 or so different wetsuits in the 3/2mm to 3.5mm class that are all $200 or less. And if you are willing to spend $260, I think the Waterproof W3 (3.5mm) is the best quality suit in that class that I have seen (not that I have seen a lot or am an expert, by any means!).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...-3-5mm-akona-3mm-x-2-scuba-pro-3-2-5-4-a.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom