you just got to laugh..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I know PADI cops a lot of flack for badly trained divers etc etc, but sometimes they should think a little harder.

Here is the cover of the 05 catalog, just above where it says "the way the world learns to dive" there is a diver in an overhead environment with atrocious trim, gauges and octo dangling and fins all over the place.

sure as heck that is not the way I learned to dive..

You got to laugh though..

Mark from what I can tell, this isn't the way that you teach either. Perhaps you should have the PADI graphic design folks come down and spend time with you. That way you can show them how to dive. You can also show them how some PADI instructors embody excellent skills.

All to frequently ad agency people know nothing about the sport or the item that they are doing the advertising for. When it comes to using photos, they look for something really graphic, which this shot is. Unfortunately the designer doesn't have a clue about what a cluster this pictured diver represents.

In the TV - movie industry, they hire pros to advise them on whatever discipline the show or movie is about. Rest assured that Jennifer Garner has martial arts people working with her on the set of Alias.

When it comes to still photography there isn't the budget. Thus you get photos like this that shouldn't be used for advertising a training organization.

cancun mark:
IHere is the cover of the 05 catalog, just above where it says "the way the world learns to dive" there is a diver in an overhead environment with atrocious trim, gauges and octo dangling and fins all over the place.
The fish school is at least under an overhang, but it's hard to tell from the image whether the diver has his overhead clear.

But hey, at least it looks like he's doing a frog kick!! :D (In mid-water...)

Hard to excuse those gauges and octo, though...

--Marek

Personally I just don't think PADI gets it.

The reason I did not renew my subscriptions to a few popular diving mags. How many pages of yellow snorkel, pink BCD and purple split fin danglie laden divers can you sift through to get to a decent article on diving?

cancun mark:
I know PADI cops a lot of flack for badly trained divers etc etc, but sometimes they should think a little harder.
Maybe they got the idea from NASA? (KIDDING! :D)
Look at you, Mark, the defender of PADI, out for a little morning troll... :eyebrow:
:D

OE2X:
All to frequently ad agency people know nothing about the sport or the item that they are doing the advertising for. When it comes to using photos, they look for something really graphic, which this shot is. Unfortunately the designer doesn't have a clue about what a cluster this pictured diver represents.
I don't want to stir up the pot anymore than it already has been by this thread. Way to go Mark. Funny picture. I always am puzzled by advertising. I think to myself, someone had to approve that! Then I think, a board of people were paid to sit around and come up with this crummy idea. Then they make a presentation on it. Then they pitch it to their boss at their marketing agency. Then the idea is pitched to the company for which the agency is representing. Then the company that the pitch is for has the final say if it gets canned. Amazing some of the worst ideas ever can get through that process and not get scrapped at each junction.

So I ask myself, does PADI have an internal marketing department? Do they outsource their marketing design to another company. Either way someone from PADI had to say that was a good picture and decide to throw it on the cover. So my point being, even if the designer doesn't have a clue about diving, someone that SHOULD have had a clue had to approve the cruddy design.

Matt

I am sure that the image was a random clip art that was simply used by an artist and paid for from some stock photo company. There is no excuse for it being approved by PADI though.

Hey, Matt, I know this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy off topic, but man it's gonna be cold gearing up this afternoon . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom