You know you're vintage when----

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have no doubts that you are vintage when you realize that most the stuff in the Man in the Sea Museum is equipment you donated to get it out of the house.

drbill:
They are true stories about early divers here on Catalina Island, but not my own. I did my first dive in the Chicago area (61-62) and here ('69) with a real reg, backpack and tank. Dr. Bill

Bill, I started a bit after you (72), so I guess things had gotten really "high tech"!

I had a SubaPro Mk 5 (which I still have, and which still works), a Dolphin-pak (same), and a K2B flight-suit. I gave the Voit full-foot fins to my son. I still have the reserve rod from the J-valve, and (I think...) the valve as well.

A friend of mine actually started diving in Lake Michigan about the same time as you, with an aircraft bail-out bottle and reg! :11:

Cheers!

Rob

Modified fire extingusher bottle... The guy who took me on my first wreck dive (12/1970) had one.

What about home-made items like spearguns or knives?

I guess it qualifies as vintage, when your first mask, fins and snorkel were the green rubber ones made by Voit, snorkel came complete with ping-pong ball check valve... which we all cut off. :eyebrow:

You know you are vintage when your first dive was inside a water heater that had been modified with a glass panel for viewing

Lloyd Bridges did exactly that as a teenager in Southern California. His book "Mask and Flippers, The Story of Skin Diving" makes good reading for anybody interested in the early history of recreational diving. I first read it in 1961 or 1962 from my high school library. It was copywrited in 1960, so I think it definitely qualifies as vintage. I just purchased a copy online in very good condition, received it in the mail today. I'm having a pleasant time reminiscing. :crafty:

drbill:
You know you are vintage when the dive boat instructor says that your c-card belongs in a museum, and he ain't that young himself!

Dr. Bill

LOL you are so right with that one. Most anybody that sees my 1973 vintage YMCA card claims to have never seen one like it. Even had one counter jockey call for back up to see if it was real.

You know you're a vintage diver when:
The gas passer at the LDS tells you that you can get a 15% discount on refills with your AARP card.

You know you are really vintage when you have to ask what a BC (or even a horse collar) is. Didn't use one for the first 28 years (but love my X-Tek now).

Dr. Bill

You know you're a vintage diver when:

Someone says,"Let's go make some bubbles!", and you think of the Lawrence Welk Show.

. . . an one, anna two anna . . .

drbill:
You know you are really vintage when you have to ask what a BC (or even a horse collar) is. Didn't use one for the first 28 years (but love my X-Tek now).

Dr. Bill
Isn't BC a powder you take? as in "go take a BC".

Kraken, why didn't you crawl up out of those Texas mudholes you pretend to dive in and go on the vintage trip with us? LOL. N

'cause they're not Texas mud holes, they're Georgian . . . that's why !!! :D

Besides, it costs enough just to keep up the modern gear! Why in God's name would I want to buy some old breadplate double hose regulator for which I can't get parts????

That would be fun, but I've a daughter I've got to get equipped and certified first.

Keep the invitation open . . . ????

Back
Top Bottom