You never know where your skills will come in handy . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Our local mudhole is right next door to a dock where a city-run water taxi comes in. Divers are prohibited from getting within 150 feet of the dock, and there used to be a nice rope line underwater that delimited that forbidden space. It was marked with big yellow buoys on the surface. But a couple of years ago, when they rebuilt the dock, the line got caught by a barge and dragged all over, and some of the buoys were lost. By this spring, there was only one left, and the line was in crazy zig-zags on the sea floor.

So a local dive club, which has put a lot of work into installing and maintaining this line, extracted some money from the city for repairs, and I showed up yesterday for a work party dive. The job my buddy and I were given was to resurvey a temporary line that had been installed the week before, and continue it into the shallows, until it connected with the boulders that make up the sea wall there. We had a 150 foot section of polypropylene rope to use as a sort of compass (in the draft sense), and a big plastic spool of smaller polypro line to put in as temporary boundary.

The plan was to drop and tie the polypro rope off to a piling stub at the dock, and then run it to the temporary boundary. We were then going to shoot a bag to mark the shallow end of that line, and swim the polypro in a big arc, while laying the smaller line. But what we discovered, when we got underwater, was that we were dealing with a terrible siltout -- of Mother Nature's doing! Visibility was (and although I am given to hyperbole, I am not guilty of that here) about 18 inches at best. Even using lights, the only way my buddy and I could stay together was for one of us to hold the line, and the other to okay it; in addition, because it was slack line, we had to disentangle one another and ourselves at regular intervals. Once we found the temporary boundary, we had to lay line going upslope, so there we were, putting in tie-offs in zero viz (my cave class didn't really teach me to do that!)

At any rate, about a half hour into this whole thing, I started laughing. I felt as though I was back in Cave 1, doing blackout drills, only with much worse equipment and supplies. (In retrospect, we could have made the whole thing easier with some cave equipment, I think -- a knotted reel would have been handy -- but I had to work with what the organizers supplied.)

We got our entire part of the project finished, despite the horrendous viz, and I credit my cave training a lot for it having been possible. You just never know where those skills are going to come in handy!

Reminds me of when I got to do some work on invasive aquatic plants, harvesting patches and moving control mats. Just enough daylight to see the inside of my mask and nothing beyond, it was a zen experience.

It is nice when we can actually lend a little assistance, having a real mission adds another dimension.

Pete

It really was a very enjoyable experience, apart from the horrible visibility. We had a specific purpose, and we achieved it, and it felt good.

Reactions: Jax
Great story, Lynne, thanks for posting it.

Reminds me of a NC wreck dive last year where as we descended on the anchor line the viz dropped to zero at about 60'ish feet. I instinctively reached out to grab the anchor line, or at least where the anchor line was at the last time I had a visual of it, and my other hand grabbed my buddy's thigh. Kinda like a combo lost line, blackout, and touch contact drill. A hurricane had blown through earlier in the week and had stirred up the bottom very badly.

Our local dive group helps to maintain the mooring lines on some of the wrecks out of Mission Bay and I can tell you that I've never felt like my cave skills of making tie offs with #28 line carried over to working with 3/4" diameter polypro rope and all the zip ties, metal crimps and tools necessary to get that stuff to tie off! Definitely more of a brute force approach than a "slow is smooth" approach. Kudos for not losing your cool in the low viz. This stuff is a pain to manage from a boat in open water, I can't imagine trying to do it from shore (logistically speaking).

Congratulations Lynne. Have you thank the local dive club for the free and surprise refreshing cave's skills session ? :wink:

I instinctively reached out to grab the anchor line, or at least where the anchor line was at the last time I had a visual of it, and my other hand grabbed my buddy's thigh. Kinda like a combo lost line, blackout, and touch contact drill.

That's why I always maintain physical contact with the descent line if there is one. If there is enough viz, I watch the line in order to detect any fishhook or other dangerous item caught in the rope, else I use protective gloves.

This is a great post Lynne!
I have found myself in the dark / no vis while at home and work.
Now I just slow down focus, relax and complete the task at hand.
The more challenging the more focus.
I have found it strangely relaxing.

These past two weekends I have been practicing reel skills with a Cavern and Basic certed divers it has been a blast.
I love to watch others and participate in this training.
Actually no vis is very peaceful when your hand is on a line. A familiar one that is.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Was this at Cove 2? If so it definitely needed to be done. Thanks! Last time I was there I tried using the map for reference but it seemed some of the references were a little out of position.

On that note, my cave training has definitely defined the way I dive and how I approach potential problems. It's amazing how often I actually use the skills and techniques still even though I no longer live in Florida. The feeling of running a reel is a bit different with dry gloves on though!

We were setting the dive flag two weeks ago for our mapping skill. I was dropping down and my buddy was slightly above me with the anchor. I began to feel slightly uneasy, the vis was getting worse and I realised, at about 48 feet, that I was about to land on a tree. Trees are bad in our lake, full of fishing line.
In addition, I was having trouble establishing neutral bouyancy because the o-ring of my inflator hose wasn't seated properly and was bubbling.
I thumbed the dive and at the surface, my buddy told me he had wanted to thumb the dive but didn't want to be the wuss. He was getting uneasy due to the horrible visibility and cold. It was really cold and really dark. We didn't have lights, were in 3mls and it had rained the night before, on top of the lake being seriously lowered, due to summer water usage.
Fixed the o-ring, reorganized and found during parts of our new dive that we had times with near zero visibility. Couldn't read my gauge or computer.
At one point I was quite proud of our teamwork and navigation. My buddy lost his slate and we went back to our dive flag, retraced our steps and literally landed on top of his slate, probably 150 yards and two turns from the dive flag!
A reel or two would have come in really handy that day. Cave training, too.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom