Your $400 anchor or your life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E:Being my first choice of find the anchor line before the end of the dive and make sure it was free or could be easily freed.

D: My last options from your choices is to mark it on the GPS and cut the line.

I would not do A,B,or C with the scenario you gave.

I am assuming, You would be going down alone on that left over 1000 psi tank and nothing else. I personally would not feel comfortable going to lets say 80' by myself with no other back up gas available. What if something happened to your Reg(free flow)? Do you have enough back gas to get back? How about if you get tangled in what ever the anchor is in? If you get tangled, do you have enough gas to do still your deco time?

Then again!:D

In my personal case I would do (B) or (C) because I sling a 40cft pony. It would depend on how much time I spent packing gear, pulling on the anchor, and then unpacking my gear. If I decided to do the deco or not. Plus I would still use that 1000 PSI left in your other tank first with a switch to my pony if needed in the situation.

I am not an advanced diver but this would be what I would do on my boat.

Last edited:
E. Check that the anchor is free before ascending from the second dive.

First divers in make sure it won't slip.
Last divers out make sure it will come up.

Should be part of the SOP, like making really sure everyone is on board before leaving.

First divers in make sure it won't slip.
Last divers out make sure it will come up.

Should be part of the SOP, like making really sure everyone is on board before leaving.

1+

The anchor can be replaced; you can't. If you have any doubts about the safety of attempting to retreive it --- leave it. You can recover it another day.

Best wishes.

Break out the sodas and sandwiches, have lunch, do a SI and get it after lunch.

Just to clarify some points above:

1. Anchor was checked at beginning of Dive #1 and was fine.
2. Boat was anchored on a rocky shelf with deeper (85') and shallower (70') areas close by.
3. Anchor was good at end of Dive #2 but had shifted and became wedged after that.
4. Already had lunch during SI #1. No chef aboard. No driver aboard.
5. $400 cost estimate might be high but includes anchor, shackles, chain, X feet of 1/2" nylon rode.
6. 23' Parker boat.
7. No wreck involved. Anchor or chain is probably wedged in rocks and easy for a diver to dislodge.
8. Rec divers: We aren't carrying lift bags or depth charges.
9. I'm afraid to ask: What is a "wet note"?

I am assuming that you have a boat driver on board. If not, you are asking for trouble in the worst way. If so, I would free the anchor on the last dive and ride the anchor line while drifting, do the safety stop, and surface. If the anchor somehow became stuck I would probably go back down, assuming I feel ok, and repeat the process surfacing very slowly. This is strictly a personal decision and not something I am recommending. Also, knowing that you will have to free the anchor and that there will be some exertion involved, it's a good idea not to push the NDL on the last dive.

In the past I have always just gone down and freed the anchor - takes a few minutes and no big deal. That was before I knew about "bubble pumping".

Often we are anchored outside a reef or kelp bed, or outside breakers, or near other boats, and it isn't okay to let the boat drift.

Why do you feel strongly that I need a boat driver? Could you please explain?

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

9. I'm afraid to ask: What is a "wet note"?

Very similiar to a dive slate, but it's a small notebook you can write on underwater. The pages can be pulled out if needed.

11.gif

In the past I have always just gone down and freed the anchor - takes a few minutes and no big deal. That was before I knew about "bubble pumping".

Often we are anchored outside a reef or kelp bed, or outside breakers, or near other boats, and it isn't okay to let the boat drift.

Why do you feel strongly that I need a boat driver? Could you please explain?

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

Mike, In Georgia 75' - 80' of water is more than 20 miles off shore. To leave a boat unattended while diving is kin to a death wish. Sounds like you are within swimming distance of beach so maybe this is less important in your area. We have, on occasion, strong currents - the anchor can slip or the line break, diver can be swept off the wreck, etc and it's a big ocean. If you can swim ashore then maybe I have a different take on the situation. Enjoy your diving.

If it were me, I'd grab my mask and snorkel and jump in the water and just swim around for a bit. The anchor is sure to come lose by itself. Alternatively, you might consider taking a good long nap, in which case it will probably come lose by itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom