Your Best Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which year?

Which location?

I did a dive on Bonaire at a site that isn't a known site (and no I'm not going to divulge it's location). During the dive numerous schools of different species converged out in front of me and a number of them filed right past me. It was like watching the finale of a fireworks display.

Galapagos Islands. Darwin's Arch, 30 foot whale shark up close and personal. Schools of hammerhead sharks. Pods of dolphins and even a seahorse. November 2014.

This year really had some great dives, but this one was number one for me.

[video=youtube;j1ofvZE1YqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ofvZE1YqE[/video]

December 2011 at the Metridium fields in Monterey. Diving to 80 feet, water was blue (usually green tint) and we could see boat on surface. Metridium on rocks that day was beyond belief.

Got ya, last time I was down that way it was blown, earlier this year. Ginnie was the only one clear, great dives though!

I had to think hard about this now my head hurts! I've had a ton of great dives but this dive is the one that still comes to mind when I think about dives from the past. I've been in clearer water, deeper water even better more intact wrecks than the Ashkhabad but for reasons that I can't put into words this dive was special. I remember looking at my SPGs trying to figure out how I can extend my bottom time what tactics will work to keep this dive going even another few minutes. I thought I was the only diver on it towards the end as even my buddy had surfaced! I got to the hang line with a little more than 200psi, I used the regs they had hanging at the line to do my SS so I'd have enough air for a couple of tries at the ladder if needed. I broke a few rules but didn't get caught or called on it and came away uninjured, and I'd do it again if offered the same conditions.

Saturday June 4 2011 Wreck of the Ashkhabad / Dive Boat Olympus

Dive two, last of the day. Clouds and sun, seas choppy the water looks beautiful! The bottom is a short 60fsw. Ambient light is good for pictures. It didn’t take long for the strobe to stop working again. I removed the optics cable ring enabling the use of the cameras flash, not much but better than nothing.
Visibility is 60+’ I can see forever! There are a lot of amberjack and other fish that I’m not familiar with. Again bait balls are thick and plentiful. This for some reason turns out being the best dive IMO of the 9. The water was so clear and warm 68F @ 61fsw. I swam this wreck over and over it was hypnotic. Before I knew it 50 minutes had gone by and my bottom time was down to a few minutes and my air was low. I hung on the line @ 15fsw and watched some other divers below that I hadn't run into during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom