Your gear & dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$35 for them to carry your tanks to the boat for you?!? I can't think of a single boat I've been on where they didn't schlep rental tanks for you automatically. Some of them even ask to schlep your gear bag for you, too. $35 is outrageous!

The fee is to get rental tanks (or other gear) from the shop to the boat. Given they're an hour apart and I live an hour from the shop, that's a big convenience for me.

$35 for them to carry your tanks to the boat for you?!? I can't think of a single boat I've been on where they didn't schlep rental tanks for you automatically. Some of them even ask to schlep your gear bag for you, too. $35 is outrageous!
What's outrageous about it? The shop is 50 miles from the boat and someone has to go out of their way. I think it's a rather reasonable charge.

And before someone pipes in with "go to the next shop for fills", I drive 40 miles each way for fills and I dive a lot. Chicagoland is not a warm water diving mecca with dive shops every couple miles.
:)

I guess you never did any diving in nyc. The only thing they do is bring you out to the wreck.

We use rolling mesh dive bags and every boat we've been on in FL and in the Caribbean, they fit under the bench. Even full of gear they fit.

None of the boats I dive from locally have benches to put stuff under so best to have something that doesn't take up much space.

My only bit of advice though is regarding your mask, keep it round your neck, or in a box or fin pocket. Some people have a habit of leaving dive gear all over the place and one misplaced foot or tank on a mask laying on the deck will result in the owner of the mask not diving.

A couple of the boats I have been on, Great Lakes, don't really have room for much gear besides your dive gear and limited personal belongings.
The cabin is reserved for Dry storage, clothes, dry exposure gear personal belongings ect., and divers out and back to the dive site. The open decks benches are usually filled with BC's on the tanks for the current dive and small items. Under the bench are extra tanks, fins weights and other items.
There is not much room for extra bags or containers. Generally the gear is brought down to the boat set up and what ever it was brought to the boat is returned to your car. Basically all that is on the boat is your gear, tanks, exposure protection and personal items.

Rolling bags are for airline travel, they are too big for on boat use for a day charter and many divers hate it when a diver comes aboard with them and takes up all the space with a huge roller bag. I carry a mesh back pack with me and use that for the boat plus a small mesh day pack with a dry bag inside for a dry change of cloths and a towel etc. Usually another small gym bag with my regulator and computer etc. Everything else goes in the mesh diver back pack.

Put your drysuit half on at least, before you get on the boat
I try very hard to avoid doing this. It leads to being hot and sweaty, makes moving kit about harder and requires somewhere to do the changing. If you have a flood then your dry clothes need to be available too.

Communal space is at a premium on dive boats. Here the greatest faux pas is to bring a crate with kit in it. When empty it doesn't compress down and takes up space. On some boats that is ok, on others not. Ideally bags should be able to be squashed down or at least flatten to take up little space forward or below. Having an awkward bag which is hard to stow and gets left where people might trip over it is a bad idea.

Grab an instacrate or two. They collapse flat when empty. For a recreational rig, there's no reason anything needs to be bulky.

Back
Top Bottom