Your Ideal Back Inflated Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterbc:
I just had a thought...when the diver is in trim position, if the pull dump valves were located on the top of the wing instead of the bottom beside your hip, Unless your wing was completly full of air it would be very hard to actually locate and dump as the valve would be forced against the tank and you would have to reach over the wing to dump.
Having it on the bottom puts the valve in an easy to reach position. Am I making any sense here ??
:classic:

Yes, completely. But don't let reason get in the way of a moving train!

Well, with my "Venture" wing (the vent is on the "top" side) the wing lays flat against the backplate when it's not inflated and doesn't generate the scenario stated above. When it is inflated, the design and construction of the wing keeps the vent from "tacoing" and, once again, does not generate the scenario stated above.
The valve pull dump string is located in a holding loop at the bottom of the wing making it easy to locate. I reach for it and there it is.
In summation, if I want to dump air in a horizontal position I don't have to rotate or make any kind of contortions to do so because the air, due to the immutable laws of physis, is pressing up against the "top" of the wing where the dump valve is.

I think I bought the last (only?) red wing that Abyss sold. I LOVE it, beats the $h!t out of my "H" wing, and it was a steal. I was a little concerned about people makinf fun of my "unit" being red, but now it think it's kinda cool being a little different (and ALOT more visible).
The only things that I would change would be the inflator hose, it's a little too long, and thicken up the material on the aircell itself. I like the cell being flo. orange, good idea.
If you get any put together , I'd like to do my duty to the board and beta test new designs (single & doubles).

'Phib

Hey, Humanphibian,
Check with Dive Rite Express, they offer shorter inflator hoses and inflator LP hoses and they will probably interchange.

I have an Oxycheq 45, a DR Classic and an Abyss 30. If you can deliver a well-made wing for $150, you're going to sell a lot of them. Make it out of the thickest, most puncture- and cut-resistant material that is economically feasible.
Black is cool, but after being rescued at sea twice in my life, I appreciate fluorescent colors. One time I got rescued because I had an orange sweatshirt that I wore over my wetsuit so people could see me underwater. On the surface being swept offshore in a wicked Hawaiian current, I held it up on a pole spear. A guy who was past my visible horizon on the bridge of his boat saw it, tooled over and fished us out.
Good luck with all that Randy.
Leave off every extra geegaw and doodad though - save me the trouble of cutting it off. SOLAS tape, D-rings - skip 'em. Make the inflator assembly as simple and foolproof as possible also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom