your LDS and servicing times...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We in Colorado must enjoy an outstanding bunch of dive shops. If I dropped my reg off on Saturday, they would call me later in the week and tell me it is done. I did have a problem last time and that made them keep it another 2 or 3 days to figure it out. Other than that, no problems no complaints. 2-3 weeks and no end in sight seems a little out of line to me.

Since it is the beginning of the season, maybe everybody wants it done at the same time. Maybe taking it in for service in February or early March would help solve the problem IDK.

this past Feb/March 2011, Scubatoys ran a reg servicing special @ $ 50 labor with FREE parts, I took advantage of it to have 2 Atomics serviced. Scubatoys turn around time is less than a week (they service in-house), another LDS I use has a visiting tech who stops by once per week to pick up/drop off regs, so depending on exactly what day a reg gets dropped off, their turn around time is 1 to 2 weeks.

how long does it take (on avg) for your LDS to do annual servicing/vis/hydro/etc. on your gear? seems like mine can't keep up...i understand our hydro/tank stuff is contracted but reg/bc servicing seems to be backed up for miles....been 3 weeks since i turned in my mk2/r380 and it is still in line :(....i need to learn how to service my own gear :fishslap:

Mine usually take a couple of days.

If your shop is backed up for weeks, they need to hire more techs.

flots.

Last edited:
this past Feb/March 2011, Scubatoys ran a reg servicing special @ $ 50 labor with FREE parts, I took advantage of it to have 2 Atomics serviced. Scubatoys turn around time is less than a week (they service in-house), another LDS I use has a visiting tech who stops by once per week to pick up/drop off regs, so depending on exactly what day a reg gets dropped off, their turn around time is 1 to 2 weeks.

Turnaround is a week or less from my LDS. I am sure there are exceptions to this though. If I am not mistaken (I have been mistaken before but don't tell my wife) it was right at $100 to have both seconds and the 1st stage serviced.

The reason I mentioned taking it in early was to avoid the rush. The reason I took mine when I did was because of a trip I took in mid-March. Not because I was thinking ahead. Sometimes timing is everything.:D

It's just like running the car with the gauge between 1/4-E no good

Or just pump gas in, the car with the gauge between F-1/4, is good

And costs the same far less

Walk into shop on hydro days blah hiss and walk out with hot tank burnt shoulder
Walk into shop on not hydro days leave with one complimentary replacement tank

Sleeps with regs monogamously if that's possible and no valves service either by shop.

Last edited:
The time it takes is often based on everyone getting servicing in the spring. Plus, everyone seems to come in at the same time because the first few days of nice sunny weather makes them remember to get them serviced / starts them thinking of diving.

Kind of like the first hot day of summer or first cold day of winter when people turn on their AC or heater. All of a sudden the HVAC shops get tons of calls and there is more of a delay than if you wanted to get your AC serviced in September.

I have always believed that when the LDS is servicing one of my regs, they should give me a "loaner". Like the garage.

I have had servicing take anywhere from two days to two weeks, depending on the LDS, work load, and manufacture. Some older models require parts to be ordered.
I believe most stores do repairs inhouse, but there are a number that send them out to a third party repair facility or with stores that have multiple locations, they main send them to a 'central' repair location.
I agree with Rhoneman that a 'loaner' should be provided. I know a couple local to me that will provide this service.

The biggest way to guarantee we (tech and dealers) get your regs back to you in a timely manner is to not wait until the last minute to get them done. Want to make your tech happy and get good treatment from them year round? Take your reg in when you get your W-2's! End of January beginning Feb. They are done with end of year inventory, getting ready for new stuff that will not likely come in til March, and business (especially in colder climes) is down. You provide them with operating capital to get thru a tough time for many businesses and they in return get your stuff back in a more timely manner. I've sold a few new regs in the last couple weeks. Annual service will be due around this time. When would I like to see them? Mid January would be a good start.

Turnaround is a week or less from my LDS. I am sure there are exceptions to this though. If I am not mistaken (I have been mistaken before but don't tell my wife) it was right at $100 to have both seconds and the 1st stage serviced.

The reason I mentioned taking it in early was to avoid the rush. The reason I took mine when I did was because of a trip I took in mid-March. Not because I was thinking ahead. Sometimes timing is everything.:D

Sounds like A-1 Scuba to me.

Sounds like A-1 Scuba to me.

Yes it is. Never had an issue that wasn't handled quickly and to my liking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom