Your liveaboard wishlist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have sooooooo many liveaboards on my wishlist right now.
How about YOU??

My current LIVEABOARD wishlist:
Caribbean: Turks & Caicos Explorer, Nekton Belize, Bahamas Explorer, Saba/St. Kitts Explorer, Nekton Caymans
Pacific: Truk on the Odyssey or Expledition, Kona Aggressor, Fiji Aggressor, SolmarV Soccorros, Nimrod Explorer to GBR

If I only get to do ONE liveaboard per year, it looks like I am gonna be pushing 60 before I finish my list. :rofl3: Of course, the list will probably change a few times between now and then, too. Oh well, gotta dream!

robin

I have yet to be on one liveaboard...and this one certainly won't be the first one I do...but I would really like to do the Aggressor in Galapagos.

We've been on bunches of them, and in retrospect, it comes down to one very basic issue:

What does this liveaboard offer over and above land based options ?

This is why a Bay Islands boat must burn a whole lot of fuel (move the boat great distances) to make the price worth it. This is why they do (and will) fail... note the Grenada boat that never went to the best (by far) diving on the NE end. A liveaboard cannot charge $3500 when you can get the same exposure for $1200 land based.

Liveaboards are an excellent way to see, in example, the Out Islands of the Bahamas, the Maldives, and Belize. There is really no other way to see the diversity of these places.

You start to get in a cost benefit ratio quandry in locations such as Truk, the Philippines (that's Fiji on a budget) and the Galapagos. It is easier, simpler and waaaay cheaper to do land based and get the same net result. There will be people who disagree, but few have tried both the ships as well as the land based operation.

I think the best way to do the GBR is liveboard. The Solmar V offers a unique product if you can stomach the crossing.

RobinT I believe that this is certainly not your first Nekton trip that shows in your "next trip countdown" thingie. I have several trips aboard the Nekton fleet and you will likely use them as a standard by which you measure all other liveaboards. I would highly recommend their Southern Bahamas trip. Saw many Sharks off of San salvador. Real Sharks.

A good place to see this dichotomy in action is the Red Sea. I will guess that day trip divers ratio to week long liveabaoards would be 1000:1, yet we Americans still must have the liveaboards and miss the fun and cultural excitement of Sharm el Sheik at night. Baffles me. A harder place to see this is in the Galapagos. Harder because most people have not done both so they don't know what the land based has to offer.

On a side note, I have seen plenty of liveaboards fail because of reasons that were not apparent. Difficult restrictions by the local government (pressure from local operators), difficulty in precise, reliable or timely air connections and resupply. I went to the Antares III (Los Roques) repeatedly even though it had an inherent flaw in its sewage system- it took me to wrecks that no one else saw. It was either the stink or the shallow dives with swirling sand filled waters that scared most away.

You're young... do them all!

We've been on bunches of them, and in retrospect, it comes down to one very basic issue:

What does this liveaboard offer over and above land based options ?

You're young... do them all!

Well, thanks for the compliment but I am 51. Yes, this will be our second time on Nekton, and our 4th liveaboard trip.

What does a liveaboard offer over land-based? To me it offers some biggies - more dives per day (4-5) than I can do land-based. No dragging gear back and forth to the boat. And I just love being on a boat, relaxing, sitting topside watching the ocean. It is truly peaceful. I find most land-based resorts are noisy, crowded, and buggy. I hate having to find a restaurant each day and waiting to get served for what seems like hours. I like having set mealtimes with hot food waiting for me when I get out of the water, just steps away. Did I mention I love being on a boat?

To me, it is THE way to dive.

robin:D

Well, thanks for the compliment but I am 51.

Young pup. :14: ...and good points above !

Love live-aboards. Without a doubt there are areas like Indo and much of the Carib where land op are great options. One live-aboard anyone can add to their list is the Philkade, Thailand great diving and incredible boat and crew.

Doc have to disagree with you on Chuuk. We dove out of the Blue Lagoon Resort and on the Odyssey and their is no comparison. Weather was medium rough so the panga rides out to the wrecks were bone jarring (via resort), surface intervals were chilly and wet. The Odyssey is one of the nicest boats we have been on and you dive right from the stern. Best of all it is an open dive deck so you can dive when you want which is a big deal when you are talking about going into areas that can get silted up quickly.

Maldives Agressor

Back
Top Bottom